Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1951 A5

stinsonbeach

Need some help.

Anyone versed in an old A5 manual of arms?

Called Browning & they sent me everywhere w/ no results for an Operator's Manual.

Always wanted an old A5 & now I have one but know I'm missing something ... lots of "something" actually!

Won't go into it now - put everyone to sleep - but if someone can help me, we can go into specifics then.

Thanks.

-jb

"FlatlandShooter" - thanks, but what I need is an actual manual of arms for this old dog. All the new "Humpbacks" are different. Just now headed out to the range to see if I can work out my problems...shouldn't be all that hard - then again???

Its not the 1951 version but this will get you started

Thanks Steve.

Just back from the range & worked out all the details.

It's hummin' right now!

Great old gun.

No vent-rib. 28" barrel - speaking of which thanks for the roll-mark "reader". Was wondering what the barrel was.

Pretty much got if figured out.

How's my 1895 doin'?

Choke markings should be on the barrel near the chamber. * for full, ** for Modified, **- for Improved Cylinder, **$ for Skeet, *** for Cylinder

Sounds like you now have the manual, so you're all set. The spring and bushing setup is the same in 1985 as it is in 1958. Silver bushing first, then the spring, then the brass bushing for light loads. Flat side of the bushing always good against the spring. I just got a 1959 model. Shots like a dream. Mine has modified barrel (**)

Choke markings should be on the barrel near the chamber. * for full, ** for Modified, **- for Improved Cylinder, **$ for Skeet, *** for Cylinder

*** yup, but as I said "looks like chicken-feet" not stars, but I have 2 of them so my guess is modified

Sounds like you now have the manual, so you're all set.

*** Steve from RAS - who is doing some custom work on another piece of mine - sent me some great info. Check him out at www.roseactionsports.com or stevespages.com. Great guy.

The spring and bushing setup is the same in 1985 as it is in 1958. Silver bushing first, then the spring, then the brass bushing for light loads. Flat side of the bushing always good against the spring. I just got a 1959 model. Shots like a dream. Mine has modified barrel (**)

*** mine's a '51. Took it to the range & worked out all the kinks. Points &, as you say, shoots like a dream. This is my first "Humpback". Always wanted one, but the new ones don't seem to have "soul". Saw this one at a gun show that I went there for 2 items & NOT to spend money, but there it was ... calling to me ... & I couldn't say "no"!

Questions: I've worked on lots & lots of my guns for years & years, but I don't want to wreck this one - tho I do intend to put down some serious ducks w/ it! - it has a bit of surface patina rust. Should I go ahead w/ some 0000 steel wool & oil it out? ...or just oil it down & leave it be.

#2: need a new butt-pad. Don't want to put on a new style. Want a period correct. Know where I can get one? Numrich? If I can't find one this'll do, tho it is dry & cracked & of no use!

Thanks.

Edited by stinsonbeach