Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel, JP Upper?

RangerTrace

I've been bitten by the AR bug pretty bad. I have a JP-15, an SBR 9mm and now I'd like to have a 6.5 Grendel to shoot long range targets and maybe some varmint hunting.

I'm tempted to buy the complete upper that JP offers, but I have a local custom rifle shop (Alamo Precision Rifles) who would build me one for cost.

So should I just save the money to buy the JP or have it built up by Alamo? Since it most likely will never see any kind of precision rifle match, I hate to over spend on the project, but I don't want a turd either.

Opinions?

A JP 15 upper in 6.5 Grendel is about $1700 base price depending of course on any other options you might want you can get an Alexander arms overwatch upper for around $900 I guess the decision would come down to what is the quality and the cost of your local builder

You of all people understand the value of an awesome weapon. Spend the money. Get the JP. If it's not what you wanted, you can sell it at a very minimal loss.

That is certainly the direction I'm leaning.......It will be several months before I put the funds together and then I still need glass, so it will likely be next spring before I'm putting rounds down range.

If the JP is your benchmark and you buy something a bit cheaper, you know you'll spend every minute behind your non-JP rifle wondering "what if?". Buy the JP and live happily ever after. I've been shooting my brothers new 6.5G JP the last couple weekends and it has me reconsidering my plans to build my own upper.

If the JP is your benchmark and you buy something a bit cheaper, you know you'll spend every minute behind your non-JP rifle wondering "what if?". Buy the JP and live happily ever after. I've been shooting my brothers new 6.5G JP the last couple weekends and it has me reconsidering my plans to build my own upper.

They make really good stuff. I also have a friend who has an in with Citizen Arms. I may have him price one of their uppers too, just for grins.

I'm a JP guy through and through. However, Alamo builds a good, solid rifle, I shot one two weeks ago and liked it alot. In fact, I was interested enough to buy it, but we couldn't agree on terms. I dont think you can go wrong with either, with the exception of what the previous posters stated about the "what if" factor. Life's too short not to buy what you want, if you can afford it.

I've built several rifles with all JP parts and never could find the magic JP dust to make them shoot like a factory rifle. All my of my factory JP's shoot sub .5 moa, none of my builds ever got there. Personally, I'd go JP, why? Because it's not a rifle, it's a JP. Based on reading a few of your pistol threads, you value great workmanship, JP gets you there.

I'm a JP guy through and through. However, Alamo builds a good, solid rifle, I shot one two weeks ago and liked it alot. In fact, I was interested enough to buy it, but we couldn't agree on terms. I dont think you can go wrong with either, with the exception of what the previous posters stated about the "what if" factor. Life's too short not to buy what you want, if you can afford it.

I've built several rifles with all JP parts and never could find the magic JP dust to make them shoot like a factory rifle. All my of my factory JP's shoot sub .5 moa, none of my builds ever got there. Personally, I'd go JP, why? Because it's not a rifle, it's a JP. Based on reading a few of your pistol threads, you value great workmanship, JP gets you there.

There is no doubt Alamo can build a solid rifle and that may be the direction I go. The Citizen Arms quote was around 2K and I just don't see me spending that kind of money for something that will not likely get shot very often. Not that this has anything to do with building a Grendel, but I probably should just consider putting some good glass on my issued Larue .308. I've already got the Larue SPR mount.....

• 2 months later...

If the JP is your benchmark and you buy something a bit cheaper, you know you'll spend every minute behind your non-JP rifle wondering "what if?". Buy the JP and live happily ever after.

Exactly. I would strongly recommend calling up JP and ask for Dustin (extension 107). He is a great repository of knowledge and I always learn a lot talking to the guys there.

I would never nay-say a JP upper. But if it is out of your budget, then there are some excellent options for building your own or having one built. One thing to remember is that this is NOT a tactical rifle caliber so don't try and build a 16" shorty or you are just going to be wasting your time.

I would never nay-say a JP upper. But if it is out of your budget, then there are some excellent options for building your own or having one built. One thing to remember is that this is NOT a tactical rifle caliber so don't try and build a 16" shorty or you are just going to be wasting your time.

On the other side, the 6.5 is far more short barrel friendly than a 5.56. If I were to get one, 16-18" is the most I'd do. After 19.5 (per AA's charts), you're only gaining .086% per inch in velocity.

On the other side, the 6.5 is far more short barrel friendly than a 5.56. If I were to get one, 16-18" is the most I'd do. After 19.5 (per AA's charts), you're only gaining .086% per inch in velocity.

The fundamental problem with a shorter barrel for any "precision" caliber is that it decreases the options you have for tuning your load. You don't always want the maximum velocity you can squeeze out of a load. You want to be able to find a node(s) where small variations in charge have very little effect on velocity and precision. With a short barrel, you have a lot less velocity to play with before you start getting too slow.

Yeah, a lot less. That whole less than a tenth of a percentage increase per inch. You're way overstating the case. The 6.5 Grendel is happier in barrels shorter than 5.56. Long for a 5.56? Very long for a 6.5G.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can afford a JP, go for it, even if you have to stretch a little.

However, if you can't swing it, I'm betting you can find an upper for $400-500 less money that would shoot absolutely great.

I am a big fan of JP rifles. They are an icon of the industry. But they are not the only builder in the world that produces quality hardware.

I am very happy with my 6 Grendel. I looked hard at a 6.5 Grendel but went with the 6mm version.

With 105gn Berger Hybrids going about 2700, my 6 Grendel shoots inside the 6.5 120/123gn bullets with ease.

Tom, Which flavor of 6 Grendel did you end up with (6mm ar or 6mm rat or 6mm grendel)

The JP is the gold standard. There are some a little better and many are worse. It is not just components, but how the barrel is mated to the receiver and how the barrel nut is seated and torqued. Do your research and then you spend your money based on the best information you can get. When I went down the 6.5 path, I ended up building my own one-off in 6.5PCC and have bee very happy with it. Then again, I can shoot the same group sizes with my precision .223s out to about 600 yards as I can with the 6s and 6.5s, the difference is a bit more energy out there.

If you are going to go down the 6.5 Grendel path I would look hard at the Grendel II chamber. It will allow you load out longer so it gives you the option of running the heavier pills and maximize your case capacity. The standard Grendel chamber is for the most part limited to 123gr. and down. I don't know if JP currently cuts that chamber in their barrels.

I also wanted a JP Grendel. As a new venture I was hard pressed to afford one, even though I know they make awesome stuff. Based solely on budget constraints I bought an AA upper. It is crazy accurate with SSTs. For my next build I am considering a barrel from Brownells or a Lilja. There are many threads at 65Grendel with favorable reviews of both barrels.

If you want the best and can afford it, go JP. If you want to try out the cartridge, there are options that will likely get you excellent accuracy for a more modest investment.

I looked at a number of options and then MidWay put the 24" AA Overwatch on sale and that worked for me. Just started load development with Hornady 123 Amax and couldn't be more satisfied. Very accurate and fun to shoot.

I just picked up a used, complete SABRE 6.5 Grendel upper with 20 inch fluted stainless steel barrel with unknown manufacturer free float tube plus some ammo, brass, and dies. Cannot wait to try it out!

I have 2 JP 6.5 Grendel's and they are the most accurate AR's I own including several 556 and 308. Brass is a big deal but several bullets incl Sierra, Berger, Amax and SST's are just crazy accurate.

The 24" barrel is unbelievable with Berger's to 1000 yards. Head shot on cow elk at 814 yrds with SST was drop in her tracks (meat was in the cooler in 55 min) I've shot lots of elk in the last 50 years and

with all kinds of guns and ranges but this was real impressive. There was no need for the 338 Lapua that was backing me up! Crazy way to fill the freezer!

Doc