Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most comfortable hearing protection

gzo

So I have an older pair of Howard Leight that I dumped for injected ear plugs. I like the fact that I don't feel like I am wearing something on my head and the plugs are much cooler in the summer. However I don't think they are the most comfortable plus I have pulled the plugs out partially when scoring only to forget to full push them back in which is not ideal with an open gun.

So I am interested in "hearing" what you guys feel is the best as well as comfortable hearing protection without going to the $1000 digital plugs?

Edited by gzo

www.espamerica.com

they are expensive, and IMO are not adequate if you are shooting open with holes in the barrel, need to double up for that, but for everything else I think they are great....

I don't care for any of the electronic muffs like the Peltor, because there is not enough attenuation. 19-20dB is about it. I like the molded in-ear plugs as long as they are made well. If you clean your ears well, or preferably go t0 a nursing station and have them cleaned, you can get a good, deep impression that will attenuate at around 35dB. I also use the big, passive ear muffs rated for 30dB attenuation. I like them both. The muffs keep my ears warm in the winter. The plugs are way cooler in the summer.

If I'm ROing a match with open pistols or magnum revolvers, I wear both. I do the same at practice if the shooters on either side of me are shooting 9mm. For some reason I just can't stand that bark.

I switched recently from howard leights to MSA Swordin supreme and wish I would've sooner. There's an article somewhere about the db rating. It looks low on paper but works great for what we do. I'm convinced I'd have more if my hearing if I'd switched sooner

The Pro Ears Gold is my choice for over the ears muffs. I have a pair of the MSA Sordins Supremes with the gel pads and while it's the most comfortable of any I've had, I still have ringing in my ears when I shoot and run shooters for a full day. That doesn't happen with the Pro Ears. A lot of the effectiveness of hearing protection is how it fits. I am sure both sets fit me right but I still have problems the MSA muffs.

That article you referred to racnsoonr seems to be laced with errors and assumptions. I would not bank much on it.

The Pro Ears Gold is my choice for over the ears muffs. I have a pair of the MSA Sordins Supremes with the gel pads and while it's the most comfortable of any I've had, I still have ringing in my ears when I shoot and run shooters for a full day. That doesn't happen with the Pro Ears. A lot of the effectiveness of hearing protection is how it fits. I am sure both sets fit me right but I still have problems the MSA muffs.

That article you referred to racnsoonr seems to be laced with errors and assumptions. I would not bank much on it.

Agreed on the article. I know at least two shooters who bought and sold MSA's because they just don't protect the ears enough.

It's worth noting as well that some of us don't like things in our ears. I have custom molded plugs that are great for shooting Production but almost do nothing when I shoot Open. I prefer to wear muffs all the time and I don't like to double plug. I just carry some cheap foamies in my pocket at big matches when it's too hot to keep the muffs on all the time between shooting.

Lots if different opinions and personal experiences. I don't believe the article was written by a rocket scientist either. I didn't buy mine because of it..but it was another opinion I considered

I asked around at the 3 gun matches I attend and that helped a lot in my choice as well. Ask to try someone else's of the brand/brands your considering and see if that helps

Well i have a little different spin on things as usual.

I have had the peltors for a few years now, and I have gotten used to them, but the sound with them is bad. Not Caldwell bad, but bad. IMHO, the Howard Leight ones have the best sound. I now have a pair of Sport Ear semi custom plugs. They took a mold of my ear and made them especially for me. I really like the sound with them, and for running anybody but open shooters, they are all I need. with open guns, I put on the peltors on over them. I have used most of the over ear types, and down here in the dirty south, it simply gets too hot for them. The custom electronics are the tits for the summer, but If I am ROing a squad with open shooters, I will throw my Hear Pro custom plugs in so I don't have to worry about the extra set of over ear muffs.

A little more advice, don't bother with the "instant" hear pros. They suck big ones. Get the ones that they have to send off to get made. They are great. Probably the best PROTECTION that you can get.

• 2 weeks later...