Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Open Division...er Unlimited 3 Gunners?

I'm old and have crappy eyes so I am pretty much relegated to Open or the new Unlimited Division as I need a dot sight on my pistol to hit anything. I have been using my Steel Challenge pistol, STI Steel Master for 3 gun because it is what I have on hand. I have a CR speed holster for it and running & having to get into different positions just seems like an accident waiting to happen. For that reason I pretty much go easy with the movement in situations that might make it pop out like going prone and such. I'm really getting addicted to the sport and think it's time to get a more 3 gun specific pistol. What are you guys that use a dot shooting? I want to stick with the 2011 format, so I was thinking of trying to find something where I could mount a dot sight, like a Fastfire or STS, to the slide. That way I could use a more traditional style holster that would have better containment. Any thoughts?

I run a S&W M&P CORE with a slide mounted optic. Ordering a Trijicon RMR very soon because it sits low enough to allow iron sight co-witness.

You're correct that you have more holster options. My Thumbdrive holster has stayed in use long past the point I had expected to replace it. But I don't worry as much about the pistol coming lose. :-)

Good luck in your search. Peculiarities of how my eyes work were the primary reason I moved to Open. Hating to load shotguns on the clock sealed the deal.

I used a Cr Speed for my open Glock 17 because it was the only holster that would accommodate the under frame mount for the C-More. I constantly worried about it coming out. I even had a long barrel pin machined out of aluminum so the barrel sat on it deeper, but still worried. A shooting buddy had the same issues with his open STI and we found a local guy that makes custom Kydex holsters and had him build one for my Glock and one for his STI open gun with a passive restraint build in. No worries now. He has taken the Kydex and kind of dimpled it in the right place to put pressure so it is virtually impossible for the gun to come out. It is easy enough to draw, no real need for speed draws in 3-gun. That solved both our problems with running the standard open holsters. Might be able to find someone to do this so you can use your same gun.

gerritm

I initially ran my uspsa setup. Ghost holster and Matt Mclearn built open gun ( sti frame with c-more serendipity). I did pretty good with that holster I only dropped my gun twice! Then I went to a safariland 014. That was good except for the locking and unlocking of the holster in the middle of a stage was slow. Then I found the com (center of mass) holster. In my opinion this is the best setup for an open pistol in 3-gun.

• 3 months later...

Custom 2011 with slide mounted Deltapoint. Works great, not as bulky as the other options for open. Can use basically any holster I choose.

This sounds like a pretty cool setup. do you have any pictures available?

• 11 months later...