Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting up a 650

How do you guys "start up" a run on a 650?

I am trying to fix in my mind a preocedure for starting up a run on a 650 from dead in the water - empty - all stop.

I've come up with the following:

1) Fill primer Magazine

2) Advance primer disk six (6) times (by hand = actuating the primer advance lever without sttroking the handle).

3) Fill case feeder bowl

4) Run case feeder till the tube fills up

now

5) Stroke the Handle once down and up

This should get a case from the case feeder mechanism and shove it into station 1

It should also (though I can't figure out how to see it) advance the first primer to the "on deck" position MINUS ONE (the on deck "position being atop the primer punch on station 2)

6) Stroke the handle a second time

The first primer should advance to the "on deck" position on top of the primer seating punch in station 2 at the end of the second down stroke of the lever

The first case should advance to station 2 at the beginning of the second up stroke.........and

The the first primer should seat into the first casing at the end of the second up stroke

All should be in sequence from then on

Topping the powder laden case with a bullet as it reaches station 4

( I have a powder checker in statiojn 3)

Just feeding primers to the primer magazine when is screeches for them...and

feeding cases to the case feeder hopper as necessary.

Does this sound right ????

Anyone got a better way of thinking about it?

renaissance needs to know!

You've figured it out. If you ever want to run your press to empty, you;ll have about 12 primers left in the disk/magazine after the buzzer.....

Tip before you start: Run some cases through Station 1, and store them in a bowl someplace handy. When you have a casefeed failure (and you will occasionally) insert that case manually at station 2 so that your primer doesn't go down the chute......

What I would do is dump in primers and brass, and crank the handle. Each time a case got "primed", I'd pull the case and if it didn't have a primer in it, throw it back in the casefeed bowl. Repeat until primers appear.

Counting works too, but changing primer sizes can throw that off.

Except you always want to measure your powder charge a few times before loading. This requires dumping powder in a sized, primed case while running a case through the sizing die. (Primer magazine empty, or cam removed if it has primers.) Once established, I put the two cases back in their respective stations, advance seven primers by hand (not main lever), then get to pulling the lever.

There's probably a dozen ways to do this. But you should measure your charge and you must dump at least the first two charges because they will be heavy.

SHRED:

Re your:

"Counting works too, but changing primer sizes can throw that off"

Do the large and small primer disks NOT have the same number of holes ??

I think --- but it's been a while since I reloaded .45 --- that they do have the same number of holes.....

SHRED:

"Counting works too, but changing primer sizes can throw that off"

Do the large and small primer disks NOT have the same number of holes ??

I think --- but it's been a while since I reloaded .45 --- that they do have the same number of holes.....

I vaguely remember mine don't, but I haven't counted in a long while. There are at least some 'counts' that vary by primer size.

I set up the powder measure before filling everything up. Get a primed case (fired in a pinch), put it on the digital scale and hit 'tare'. Throw charges into case, weigh case. Repeat until satisfied with charge. Verify once the shellplate is full of cases.

Except you always want to measure your powder charge a few times before loading. This requires dumping powder in a sized, primed case while running a case through the sizing die. (Primer magazine empty, or cam removed if it has primers.) Once established, I put the two cases back in their respective stations, advance seven primers by hand (not main lever), then get to pulling the lever.

There's probably a dozen ways to do this. But you should measure your charge and you must dump at least the first two charges because they will be heavy.

I do it a little different, I load my primer tube, fill the case feeder & powder measure. and use a resized case with a fired primer seated upside down that I keep by the press, to check my powder charge, do it 6 or 7 times, turn the case feeder on and start loading.