Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tear this one apart please.

kcobean

This was the last stage of my first match of the season. One mike on the third paper target in the first shooting position, and I'm sure it was the second shot on that target. 132 points before penalty and 19.15 seconds. This was only good enough for 4th place on this stage.

From a technique standpoint, what would you do differently (keeping in mind that I'm a southpaw and planned my stage to ensure a right->left reload). Where could I have made up the 2.25 seconds that separated me from the winner? Replacing the mike with an alpha would only have gotten me into third place. The top two shooters ran it in 16.90 and 16.92 seconds respectively, with 133 and 131 points, respectively.

The targets you can't see behind the yellow barricade that I take through the port are 2 paper targets on the left and 4 steel, one of which required a second shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jbcqwnpvolazlwe/AADN34GX5ck2am0aAw58hhPMa/KellyS3.MOV?dl=0

From what I can see, it looks like the movement is costing you time, particularly from position 1 to 2. Position 2 to 3 is also somewhere that time could be shaved. The shooting looks pretty solid to me, as a fellow A class shooter, its what is happening that is not shooting that is costing time. More aggressive movement and arriving with the gun ready to fire could close the gap.

I'm not looking through the port at position 3, but is there a sweet spot where you could shoot without repositioning your feet?

Nice shooting, by the way.

Yup. coming into position two looked slow and awkward with a little bobble. You would be suprised how much time that cost you. I am not left handed so I don't know if it would be better to shoot from the outside in rather than inside out. Could you have shot the last target in the second array while starting to leave? On the third array, it took a bit of time to get to the shooting. Perhaps part of the difference in time between you and the top two finishers could be getting the reload finished a fraction of a second sooner so you could have the gun in front of your face coming into the last position sooner?

From what I can see, it looks like the movement is costing you time, particularly from position 1 to 2. Position 2 to 3 is also somewhere that time could be shaved. The shooting looks pretty solid to me, as a fellow A class shooter, its what is happening that is not shooting that is costing time. More aggressive movement and arriving with the gun ready to fire could close the gap.

I'm not looking through the port at position 3, but is there a sweet spot where you could shoot without repositioning your feet?

Nice shooting, by the way.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not having the gun up coming into position two....there's probably a half-second right there. And there definitely was a sweet spot in position 3, and I planned to hit it on my walk through, but I stopped short on my run. Probably another half-second there, at least. Thanks.

Yup. coming into position two looked slow and awkward with a little bobble. You would be suprised how much time that cost you. I am not left handed so I don't know if it would be better to shoot from the outside in rather than inside out. Could you have shot the last target in the second array while starting to leave? On the third array, it took a bit of time to get to the shooting. Perhaps part of the difference in time between you and the top two finishers could be getting the reload finished a fraction of a second sooner so you could have the gun in front of your face coming into the last position sooner?

Yeah, I don't remember what happened to cause the bobble into position 2. Beginning to move while engaging the last target in position 2 is a good idea. I need to work on retreating shots like that. Good advice. The lag in position 3 was just me getting lined up on the target. I was very stiff from the cold (32 degrees with a solid wind going all day and this was our last stage of the match), and the combination of a low port and me being 6'4", I just didn't get myself set quickly or accurately. Port work is something else I need to work on I guess.

Thanks for y'alls feedback.

Anyone else?

Archived