Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Stickiness SOLVED - It's the Starline Brass

ktm400

Chronoed loads today and have concluded that the issue isn't the load but it's the Starline brass. Same load (138 PF) with Federal Brass had zero difficulty extracting. Same with mixed range brass x-Starline.

All reloads, including the Starlines, using Lee u die. Thanks for the heads up on this from MWP.

Also discovered much better accuracy using a 147 38/357 bullet after I slugged my barrel - it's .357

before giving up i think doug's theory is a good one, shoot it once in an auto...

that said, in the minimal testing i've done so far with range brass the following all have worked fine..

fed, win, speer, blaser, hornady all worked.

odd stuff that all sticks...

sumbo, ammoland, herters, imi...

this is random range brass run through a dillon die.

What load recipe you using with the 147 grain?

147 RN (38/357) Blue, 3.7 N320, 1.175 OAL, Fed Brass, Fed Prem Primer

Thanks, I'll give that a shot , I was messing around and revisiting short colt with some 145s. With 3.4 of n320 at 1.12" only got me like 106 PF

before giving up i think doug's theory is a good one, shoot it once in an auto...

that said, in the minimal testing i've done so far with range brass the following all have worked fine..

What's the theory regarding shooting first in auto?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211486&p=2365483

I'm not going to buy new brass for my revolver and run it in an auto and put extractor claw marks on it where my moon clips fit. All my new Starline goes through the sizer with almost no pressure, I've never seen any new Starline with a bluge.

What is it about the Starline brass that makes it stick ???

I don't know but Hunter from Starline said there have been several reports about this and he said they're not sure why this is happening.

I am having the same problem with my 929 and starline brass. I have also talked to Hunter a couple of times and he told me to shoot it once and then reload again but that made no difference. I asked Hunter to call Jerry Miculek and run it by him. My gun works fine with R-P brass and TK custom moon clips and 124 grn bayou coated bullets with 3.0 grns of clays. I guess I have 75.00 of brass that won't work in a revolver.

My new starline 9MM did not go through my dillon 650 with the dillon die with minimal effort. The resizing was sticky as hell.

I have this same problem, although not quite as badly, with brand new 38spl starline brass so I figured it was normal.

this has been my experience with all new starline brass, it requires alot of effort the first time through...

this has been my experience with all new starline brass, it requires alot of effort the first time through...

That's pretty strange, whenever I throw some new brass in the hopper I'll be pulling the handle reloading away when the handle will slam to the bottom with no effort and I'll see that it was one of the new pieces of brass coming through that didn't require any sizing compared to the fired cases.

Edited by Gregg K

That's pretty strange, whenever I throw some new brass in the hopper I'll be pulling the handle reloading away when the handle will slam to the bottom with no effort and I'll see that it was one of the new pieces of brass coming through that didn't require any sizing compared to the fired cases.

It's not the resizing that is difficult. I've found with about all new cases it's the powder funnel sticking as it withdraws after flaring the case mouth. Has to do with the sharper edges of new cases combined with no fired gunpowder residue (which acts as a dry lubricant). It helps a little to de-burr the case mouth, but it still is tougher than a fired case.

It's not the resizing that is difficult. I've found with about all new cases it's the powder funnel sticking as it withdraws after flaring the case mouth. Has to do with the sharper edges of new cases combined with no fired gunpowder residue (which acts as a dry lubricant). It helps a little to de-burr the case mouth, but it still is tougher than a fired case.

The powder funnel on a 1050 loader doesn't stick, it's a different shape than the other Dillon presses.