Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL powder measure drift

I use a Hornady LNL powder dispenser to meter charges for XTC service rifle loads. It's beginning to drift by .5 grains or more over the course of 100 rounds. I've always allowed 15 minutes warm up time before I tare it and start dispensing, and I keep it on a stable bench away from air drafts AND it receives power from its own surge protector. Is there anything else I can do to minimize drift short of recalibrating it every 10 rounds?

What powder?

Do you have calibration weight to rule out scale drift?

Have you disassembled the powder drop and clean lower and upper? They get sticky after awhile (i clean my lower every 1000 rounds). Does the powder adjustment rotate to a point it is close but not touching the top.

get a redding benchrest powder measure. set it and you can load a tray or 50 as quick as you can. pull a couple of the cases weigh them and they will be exactly the same.

I tried a RCBS many years ago when I took it off a prize table. it took to long to dispense, drifted like what you are experiencing. get a redding BR dispenser.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 Hornady power measures. Did you totally take it apart and clean with alcohol and lube it with dry lube? My powder drops are dead on consistent every time. 2 keys are the setup clean and use the correct rotor.

Cmax