Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty mags in safe area

bronson630

not only that, but you can practice inserting them into your gun, at least that's what the rulebook says. You're also allowed to have *loaded mags* on your belt or in your bag, you just can't handle them.

It's worth being careful tho, and specifically unloading a mag before you get to the safe area. If you are in the safe area and unload a mag in order to practice reloads with an empty mag, you have just earned a dq.

Local club rules may vary. Our club does not permit mags in the gun in safe areas.

:eatdrink: Club rules?? What's that?

But seriously, I don't even take mags to the safety area. I have seen too many people get in trouble pulling them out of the bag or off their belts.

I usually don't handle mags in the safe area but there are no problems with it IF they are empty. The problem comes if you forget that you have a loaded mag and you start playing with it. Just not a good idea to handle mags there and I would only do it if it was absolutely necessary.

Sent from the range

So hypothetically, you are dry firing, then you walk away from the table with an EMPTY magazine in the gun (just plain forgot you left it there instead of pocket, bag, pouch, etc), what's the call? Hammer down on empty gun, empty mag inserted. DQ?

So hypothetically, you are dry firing, then you walk away from the table with an EMPTY magazine in the gun (just plain forgot you left it there instead of pocket, bag, pouch, etc), what's the call? Hammer down on empty gun, empty mag inserted. DQ?

Rule 5.2.2 covers it...

no dq. you just have to fix it. the rulebook very specifically addresses that.

Edited by motosapiens

Yes, you can have an empty mag in your hand at the safe table. No, I don't do it. When the match starts, I will go to the safe area and holster up, practice a few draws and leave, then put mags on belt. When the match is over, I toss my mags into my bag then go to the safe area to de-gun. I just don't like being around the table with loaded mags on me. Its just too easy to accidently grab one, especially if you tend to utilize empty mags for mag change practices. I don't want to run the risk...