Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PMAG test?

smokeandmirrors

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the naysayers were right. I was wrong. And I have 6 in the mail to me as I currently type. Yeah yeah I know. They are going to fix the situation. But Whenever a product roll out is botched like this you never really have faith in the product again. Which is shame. I have never had reason to disparage Magpul before.

That all depends. Sometimes, things get over-looked in QA testing and the like. The mark of a good company is the ability to own up to your mistakes, and make it right for your customers. Magpul excels in this.

So I was wondering. Since the only shortcoming I can find with these mags is the lack of witness holes. Is there any reason a guy couldn't drill his own? Even if they didn't line up perfectly they could, for instance, allow you to see if you have ten rounds loaded once you knew which hole corresponded with that number. Has anyone tried this?

With the poor idea of even introducing an aftermarket Glock mag that does nothing that the OEM doesn't, they had to have left out witness holes for a very good reason.

Full capacity, easily readable witness holes are now a standard feature on good magazine design nowadays, so skipping them for no reason would be a huge mistake for Magpul.

Now having said that, for the price, it might be worth ruining one for fun to find out for yourself...

How does a man see witness holes once the mag is inserted? We are not talking an ASP with clear grips.....To add spice to the discussion, at the GSSF match I attended on April 18th, they were selling factory test mags for $10 each....hmmm

Some of us production shooters like to just feel good that we correctly counted to 10 while loading. And I always double check my belt to make sure there are no underloaded or used mags on there. Granted I never put a used mag back on my belt, but if just feels comforting to check.

I too can't understand why they left out the witness holes. Sure, they're not totally reliable, but they at least let you see +-1 round how many are in a mag and are much more accurate that estimating loaded round count by feel. If they want to sell an aftermarket mag, I think it needs to be both cheaper and better if they want much in the way of sales. Leaving out such a basic feature that's been in Glock factory mags since the beginning just seems really odd.

So I went ahead and drilled a hole to show when I am at 10 rounds. Today I completed the first day of a Vogel class. No problems so far. On Monday I will post pics and dimensions.

According to facebook replacement magazine bodies are being sent out.

Now Shipping--Again--The PMAG17 GL9.

We have now shipped replacement bodies for the entire first run of PMAG17 GL9 magazines to our dealers and distributors. Within the next few days, everyone who purchased PMAG17 GL9 magazines from the initial run should be receiving their replacement bodies, either delivered directly to the purchaser in the case of those who purchased from Brownells, Midway, DSG, Aim Surplus, or other online retailers, or delivered to your local gun store, where you may trade the old bodies for new, in the case of an over-the-counter sale. If anyone who purchased at a brick and mortar store is unable to return to the purchase location, please contact customer service and alternate arrangements will be made.

This also marks the kickoff of full production of the magazine as originally intended, and the corrected PMAG17 GL9 will begin shipping again to dealers and distributors. All magazine bodies with a date code of 5/15 and later are the corrected bodies, and will work flawlessly with G34, G17, G17L, G19, and G26 pistols with none of the ammunition sensitivities exhibited in the first run.

We thank everyone for their patience with this product launch, and we appreciate your continued business.

Edited by Punkface

Got my new mag bodies today, they look like a different polymer. Not sure haven't really looked too closely. The old bodies I have work fine and I probably will not switch until I run into problems.

Swanny, how did you guess/figure out where 10 rounds mark was going to be?

Take off the base plate. Put 10 rounds in the empty tube. Measure from the bottom round to the bottom of the tube. Transfer the measurement to the outside, and add 4.5mm to that.

Under the impression that these mags don't have a metal liner ?

If this is true, even with a 'New' polymer, it may wise to see how they hold up in longer term use lest you wind up experiencing one of the problems the old OEM NDF Mags had which was cracking between the witness holes in a "connect the dot" fashion...

Swanny, how did you guess/figure out where 10 rounds mark was going to be?

I stacked rounds on the magazine in a staggered fashion as I imagined they would sit in the mag. Low and behold it came it out right. Sorry I haven't posted pics yet. Hopefully tmw.

I purchased three from Cabelas. No problems with feeding. They fall out freely. The last round feeds well. They were only $20 a piece. I have put about 200 rounds through each.

Conclusion= I will buy more.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased three from Cabelas. No problems with feeding. They fall out freely. The last round feeds well. They were only $20 a piece. I have put about 200 rounds through each.

Conclusion= I will buy more.

Well, I dropped one of the pmags today and it broke. Not a little break. It broke right down the middle. No way I can fix it. Maybe, I won't be buying anymore. I think from now on I will buy real Glock mags.

Well, I dropped one of the pmags today and it broke. Not a little break. It broke right down the middle. No way I can fix it. Maybe, I won't be buying anymore. I think from now on I will buy real Glock mags.

Something like that definitely needs pictures.