Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Slide Cracking

7sst

Anyone else have this happen to their Glock? Glock says dry firing causes this and that I shouldn't dry fire my Glocks. They were going to charge to replace the slide but covered it under warranty after a sufficient amount of grief so I'm happy with the result.

Would this have blown up if the little disk had fallen out while shooting?

post-54942-0-81288400-1427509195_thumb.j

Wow. I'm surprised to see that obvious of a failure. I doubt it would have blown up. I'm surprised it even fed.

How much dry fire did you do?

That isn't the type of damage I would expect to see from dry fire. I don't even see how it could have been caused by the striker going forward. The area the shoulder of the striker hits is much smaller. I wonder if the striker channel was milled too deep.

The company covered it under the warranty, life doesn't get any better than that. Glock is a very reputable manufacturer of handguns. Mistakes/problems happen, but quality companies fix their screw-ups, as Glock did. The only thing I've ever heard bad about Glocks was that they supposedly told people not to fire reloaded ammunition in their pistols. I understand the liability issues, but people reload to be able to shoot enough to learn to shoot well. Dryfiring shouldn't cause that damage.

I seen a handful of those at the local USPSA range. All from excessive dry firing without using snap caps to absorb the striker energy, small but multiply by 10,000 times. It's not the same as striking a live primer.

I seen a handful of those at the local USPSA range. All from excessive dry firing without using snap caps to absorb the striker energy, small but multiply by 10,000 times. It's not the same as striking a live primer.

Definitely- we have to keep in mind that the striker on a Glock is designed to "dead stop" against a primer or the inside of the channel. Most other pistols work in reverse of this since you are pushing/striking the firing pin against a spring that returns it to it's original starting point prior to firing.

If this is a known issue I wonder if Glock could change the design somehow to add material in the slide between the breech face and the inside of the channel to solve it? The area that cracked out was surprisingly thin, not much thicker than a fingernail.

If this is a known issue I wonder if Glock could change the design somehow to add material in the slide between the breech face and the inside of the channel to solve it? The area that cracked out was surprisingly thin, not much thicker than a fingernail.

Snap Caps.

I don't have good luck with snap caps. The one I have are made of aluminum and they quickly burr at the rim and soon they get stuck in the chamber. I quit using them long ago. I dry fire on empty chamber and never had an issue. I have used reloads with no powder and no primer. I suppose that would offer more support than using nothing....

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't have good luck with snap caps. The one I have are made of aluminum and they quickly burr at the rim and soon they get stuck in the chamber. I quit using them long ago. I dry fire on empty chamber and never had an issue. I have used reloads with no powder and no primer. I suppose that would offer more support than using nothing....

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I had the same experience with the aluminum a-zoom snap caps. The case rim gets chewed up fast and the front of the "case" portion gets slammed into the front of the chamber and develops a ring pretty quick. The plastic and brass Tipton snap caps work a little better but the rim still gets chewed up and the "primer" develops a crater after a while.

Archived