Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pin and extended FPB

RobertLx

I just installed an extended FPB with my extended firing pin because the original FPB wasn't working. The new FPB seemed to be working fine without fitting, but as I was dry firing it, then racking the slide with the trigger still squeezed simulating live fire, the back plate on the slide fell out and the FP was stuck in the slide. The FPB is holding it from returning because it's moving too far forward.

My question is, do I need to worry about this during live fire? I assume since there is no casing in the gun, the FP is able to move forward more than when there is a case in it.

This could cause a problem on unload and show clear to the next time I load.

I'm thinking I could ramp the FP ledge that's getting hung up on the FPB.

Edited by RobertLx

I was thinking I may just have to sand the end down a little to make the block drop a little lower in the slide.

It's not staying low enough to allow the FP to come all the way back.

If i remove the back plate and FP and spring with the slide on the gun, it looks like the FPB barley protrudes up with the hammer cocked. So I was concerned that if I take too much off the bottom, it may not engage the FP.

I have the same issue with my Limited Pro. I've never had an issue during live fire. I use snap caps to keep this from happening during dry fire practice. I've found that keeping the gun level when dropping the hammer on an empty chamber (after unload and show clear) usually prevents the firing pin from hanging up, but I always head to the safe area to check it to make sure. I would also like to know how to keep this from happening. I've tried using a Wolff extra power firing pin spring to keep the FP from going too far forward, but it still happens (may even be worse!).

Edited by BrazeauRacing