Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how top shooters shot stages at the recent Nationals

Nimitz

so i followed the Super squad around on Saturday at the recent US STeel nationals and here's what I observed ...

Smoke & Hope: most shot it 1,2, 4, 5 Stop with a couple reversing it, 5,4, 2 , 1 stop

5 To Go; everyone that I watched shot it far to near: 4,3,2,1, stop

Accelerator: just about everyone shot it: 1,2, 5,4 stop. I had been told that KC shoots it 5,4, 1, 2 stop but he did not shoot it this way (maybe he does it in that order with his open gun ...)

Speed Option: everyone shot it: 5, 4, 3, 1, stop

Roundabout: most shot it: 1,2, 5, 4, stop but a couple shot it 5,4, 1,2, stop

Pendulum: most shot it 1, 2, 4, 5 top but 1 or 2 reversd the order

Outer Limits: everyone shot it: 1, 2, move, 4, 5 stop (exiting & entering on the 18"x24" plates)

this day folks were shooting Production & limited guns. Don't know if they shoot some in a different order with their open guns ...

Awesome!. Thanks. A couple of those can be looked at several ways so it's nice to see how the top shooters did it. I was able to watch a few but not all. Most of what I saw was in practice days which obviously was the same.

I was most surprised initially by 5 To Go but then I thought about it and going far to near makes sense when you have no issue drawing fast to a far target because it allows you to speed up as you move to the closer targets vice slowing down as you go to the farther targets. if the stop plate was also a long shot it might be different but since it's only 7 yards, shooting #1 (10 yds) last makes sense.

I was a little surprised at how they shot Accelerator since if you shoot #4 last like they all did and call a shot good when it's not you'll eat a penalty every time. if you shoot 5, 4, 1, 2, stop you're coming of that 18 x24 at 10 yds on your way to the stop plate and if you did miss #4 earlier you can pick it up before the stop plate. Also, the target area for #5 is larger then for #1 so there really is no issue drawing to that. On Showdown we draw to the 18x24 target first and it is at 25 yds .... anyway, I'm currently .4 secs faster going right to left on Accelerator so I'm be keeping that the same.

Accelerator - What I talked to a couple of people about was thinking about the targets as being on the same focal plane. 1 and 2 are close and you can be much more aggressive on them. 4 and 5, being farther away and harder, take more focus. By taking 1 and 2 first then swinging to 4 and 5, the focus is further away, more intense, and that can be carried into the stop plate, which is sort of in between the two.

Also, by starting on 1 (the smallest target) they can get to it quickly, swing past the 18x24 aggressively, transition to another 18x24, and get the focus beaded in for number 4 and then the stop. Going the other way we are transitioning to number 1 (a smaller target) where it's easy to sling a shot at it hoping to get to the big number two target and then having a hard time slowing the gun down for a good stop shot.

I shot it 5,4,1,2, Stop also. Just mentioning the conversation I had with a couple of people. I can see how both ways work and it might depend on your skill level.

yep, the real key is to see what your transitions are for the 2 ways. I used to shoot it 1,2 5,4 stop for the reasons you mentioned but found the transition slower because it was the last plate you had to hit and therefore couldn't afford the 'back & forth' if you missed. the other way there is no back & forth since if you miss you just keep going & pick it up on the end. Also, my transitions from 1 - 2-stop are extremely fast which is why I think I'm much faster overall that way ....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have watched the pro a few times, especially KC, and initially went with his recommendations. But as time went by I changed a few and it helped me once I found out what I was best at. These days I shoot S&H 5, 4, 1, 2, stop. Some don't like the idea of passing over a plate and not shooting it. But for me by shooting 5 and the 4 before the gun is completely up by point shooting I get to go to the end and burn the last 3 left to right which I am better at. I have found that in most cases I can point shoot the stop plate because all three are in the same plane. 5 To Go I have been mostly shooting 1, 2, 3, 4, stop. But considering I shoot Accelerator best going 5, 4, 1, 2, stop because by starting out on the far targets I have found I can speed up, like S&H by burning the 1, 2, stop sequence very fast. That has got me considering shooting 5 To Go like the pros you saw even though I will be shooting R to L which I don't do as well as L to R. The closer they get the less I have to aim so I can point shoot. Up until about a month ago I usually shot Pendulum 5, 4, 1, 2, stop, but last month I decided that shooting the entire rear plane then point shooting the close in stop plate is a better solution. So now I also shoot it 1, 2, 4, 5, stop. I have always shot Speed Option 5, 4, 3, 1, stop based on KC's recommendation of breaking them up into 2 groups of targets, 3-5 and 1-stop.