Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

De-priming issue on 550

LegionShooter

I have a new batch of 1000 once fired .40 brass. I load on a Dillon 550 and yesterday I was having problems with the de-priming station. I had roughly 15% of the spent primers get pushed almost out, but not enough for them to drop free. This happened mostly when there were rounds in the other three stations of the press, but not always. I adjusted the sizing/depriming die down a bit but that didn't seem to help much. The brass is Federal headstamp with silver colored primers. All the brass from this batch was fired through Glocks, guessing from the striker indent on the primers. Any ideas?

It sounds like a common problem people have

There's a bunch of threads on this it's fairly common. It seems the primers are being punched out and actually are pulled back up into the case, the primer gets stuck on the decap rod. Some people will make the decapper more pointed, some will make it more blunt and round over.

Speer Brass does this for me

There's a bunch of threads on this it's fairly common. It seems the primers are being punched out and actually are pulled back up into the case, the primer gets stuck on the decap rod. Some people will make the decapper more pointed, some will make it more blunt and round over.

Yep, work on the tip of the pin. I angled mine like a hypo on the advice of a few others but just getting rid of the hard crisp edges seems to work well also.

I suppose that could be the issue.

I suppose that could be the issue. Sometimes it takes two or three pulls to get the primer punched out. I'll pull the pin and hit it with the grinder to round it off.

I suppose that could be the issue.

I suppose that could be the issue. Sometimes it takes two or three pulls to get the primer punched out. I'll pull the pin and hit it with the grinder to round it off.

It IS the issue. Probably don't need a grinder. I hit mine with a file for about a minute