Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 2011

Iggy42

I am sure this has been discussed before, but my search-foo is not strong today and I am unable to locate any threaded about this

I have decided its time for me to move on past my XDm to an 2011 for 3 Gun and USPSA, however, I am a bit stumped as to what route to go.

As my first 2011 should I just go CRP Edge/Eagle from Dawson, or am I better off going with something a bit higher up the chain? Maybe not a full on custom, but what about a CK Arms limited model?

Really trying to figure out how many of my pennies I need to scraped together, so getting the most bang, so to speak, for my buck. Not that I think there is anything wrong with a CRP Edge/Eagle, but I am just wondering if something that has already had a few upgrades performed would be better in the long run.

This is my opinion and my opinion only. Others will have their own opinion and I respect that. (I only wish I had the cash to have the exact gun for the game I want to play...LOL).

You have to weigh the pros and cons of it all and make your own decision. You need to decide what you want to shoot more of. I will say, you don't need to order a custom gun to do what you want to do. Anything from Dawsons or Brazos will serve you well. But hey, if you have the cash and can wait for something to be built, go ahead and order a custom gun. In the end , it isn't necessary. Just consider the following:

If I was shooting only 3 Gun and will never, ever shoot anything else, I would go with a Dawsons 2011 CRP in 9mm.

If I was shooting or thought I might be shooting some USPSA, I would shoot major and go with a Dawsons 2011 in 40 SW.

The idea of shooting USPSA and shooting it as Minor PF in 9mm has been beat to death. Many will agree, it makes no sense. If you are going to shoot USPSA with a 2011, it should be Limited and it should be at a Major PF. This requires the 2011 in 40SW unless you want to shoot an open gun.

Now, having said all that, you can always go with a 2011 CRP in 40SW and load it with "bunny-fart" loads for your 3 Gun stuff but you will give up three rounds as opposed to a 9mm 2011.

Again, you need to decide what it is you really want to shoot. Is it worth it to give up the extra 3 rounds (in 9mm) to have the versatility to shoot either 3 Gun or USPSA? I say yes.

Others will have their own opinions on the matter and I respect that. These are mine.

Good luck to ya brother! BTW, I think Dawsons is having a sale right now for either platform.

Edited by JMike

If I was going to do it again, I would go with a ck arms or full custom. I just like to tinker and and through that I've found out what I like, and didn't like. For instance I don't like how the thumb/Beaver tail safeties felt, the trigger group, or the mag well that came on my crp. I probably spent more time and money trying stuff to see what was right for me when in fact it might have been cheaper to go with a custom or semi-custom like the ck.

This is my opinion and my opinion only. Others will have their own opinion and I respect that. (I only wish I had the cash to have the exact gun for the game I want to play...LOL).

You have to weigh the pros and cons of it all and make your own decision. You need to decide what you want to shoot more of. I will say, you don't need to order a custom gun to do what you want to do. Anything from Dawsons or Brazos will serve you well. But hey, if you have the cash and can wait for something to be built, go ahead and order a custom gun. In the end , it isn't necessary. Just consider the following:

If I was shooting only 3 Gun and will never, ever shoot anything else, I would go with a Dawsons 2011 CRP in 9mm.

If I was shooting or thought I might be shooting some USPSA, I would shoot major and go with a Dawsons 2011 in 40 SW.

The idea of shooting USPSA and shooting it as Minor PF in 9mm has been beat to death. Many will agree, it makes no sense. If you are going to shoot USPSA with a 2011, it should be Limited and it should be at a Major PF. This requires the 2011 in 40SW unless you want to shoot an open gun.

Now, having said all that, you can always go with a 2011 CRP in 40SW and load it with "bunny-fart" loads for your 3 Gun stuff but you will give up three rounds as opposed to a 9mm 2011.

Again, you need to decide what it is you really want to shoot. Is it worth it to give up the extra 3 rounds (in 9mm) to have the versatility to shoot either 3 Gun or USPSA? I say yes.

Others will have their own opinions on the matter and I respect that. These are mine.

Good luck to ya brother! BTW, I think Dawsons is having a sale right now for either platform.

Appreciate the insight, but I have already figured out what caliber I will be going with, and that will be 40SW so I can major/minor depending on the match I am at. Maybe someday I'll go for a 9mm for 3 gun, but at the moment 40SW makes much more sense. Only time I have had a stage where I wished I had a couple more shots that a 9mm would offer was when I didn't do my part and missed too many pieces of steel. Beyond that I have yet to be in a match that did not have a point were you had time for a reload while moving to a new position.

More trying to figure out if a CRP 2011 from Dawson is "good enough" for a first 2011, or if I should spend the extra $400 or so for a CK (or equivalent, if there are any other that offer something between a tuned Edge/Eagle and a full custom)

I bought my first 2011 off a forum member in the classifieds. It gave me a good sense of what I was getting into, and what parts I wanted to change out (which I did in over the first 6 months after getting it). Two years later that experience led me down the path of spec'ing out a 6" custom build from a box of gun parts and a local 1911/2011 gun wrench.

Both of those two 2011's are chambered in .40 since at the time I was mostly shooting USPSA with a little 3-gun and IDPA thrown in there. The 5" 2011 with downloaded .40 worked for both of those games and I shot it that way for a season or two. Then I got it into my head that I wanted a 9mm 2011. So rather than buy/build a new 9mm 2011 I took the original 2011 and had a 9mm slide/barrel top end built for it by the same 2011 wrench in town. I still have the .40 top end and put it back on the frame whenever I am shooting a major match and need a backup for my 6". Otherwise, 90% of the shots fired thru that gun are with the 9mm top end on it.

Is the 9mm configuration better? For me it is when shooting minor. I think I just like the snappier feel of the 9mm vs .40minor. YMMV.

i to am going through this same predicament moving away from a glock to a 2011. after a lot of researching and talking with a buddy i decided to keep an eye out on the classifieds for a used one that kinda match what i want that way i can figure out what i want in a higher end 2011. would really like a limcat wildcat tracker or a cheely hybrid.

So I admit I was all about .40 as it seemed to offer me the most options, but lately I have been thinking of going to USPSA style steel match instead of local USPSA as it seems to offer me better "practice" for 3 gun since I always struggle with pistol knockdown steel. Not to mention I have been thinking of giving 2 gun a whirl as my local club offers a month USCA match. Going that route 9mm makes more sense, but at this point I really have no idea

Heck I still haven't figured out what is the best 2011 route for me to go

Too many choices, which I admit is a good thing just hell on a guy like me.

Get the 9mm since it sounds like you're more into shooting matches where PF is not an issue. Then later, if you decide you want a major PF gun, get one in .40. Trying to find one-gun-to-do-it-all can lead you down all kinds of weird paths. Just embrace the suck and plan on getting multiple. I don't golf, but would you putt with a driver?

I'm (b / c shooter) really happy with my Brazos-tuned .40 Edge for USPSA Limited and Dawson-tuned 9mm Eagle for 3 gun, steel, idpa and similar games. while i wouldn't mind having something nicer/more expensive, these have worked pretty much perfectly as intended. frankly, ditto for my two other sti's that haven't been touched by a 'smith. if you throw idpa out of the equation, and only one gun, it would be the edge in .40 and shoot minor/major as needed with just the guide rod and spring change. as noted above, a couple of rounds less capacity with a .40 in 2 or 3 gun i don't think would have ever been a disadvantage at any of the matches i have done.

• 4 weeks later...

If you reload game ammo then 40 is the most versatile. And brass is easier to get. The 2011 can run both major and minor with different recoil springs. A 12lb vs 9lb. Semi custom is a great compromise, you get the quality components in trend ie EGW fire control and KKM barrel. The only things missing from semi custom is barrel length, color combo, unpinned grip safety, trigger size. In theory a good builder will fit the barrel the same. In custom you can get 5.4" builds. I have a 6" Cheely and a 5.4" and shot plenty of 5s. Not much of a difference. The fit matters more. Tight guns shoot smoother.

• 1 year later...

I'm also planning to move from a Xdm to a 2011. I'm going to build it myself or at least try too.

If I was buying it would probably be a Brazos high performance Edge or CK Arms Limited gun

Well it sounds like you've settled on an Edge in .40 ....my experiences....I have 2 STI edges in 9 mm I got from Dave Dawson.

The first pistol was a bad experience simply because of quality control.....barrel, ejector , rear sight. Anyway that was all taken care of ...and I ordered a second Edge from Dave in Stainless. I made it very clear I wanted Daves employees to go over the whole pistol ...repair as necessary and tune the trigger. Gun was received and was great. Only problem is the pins work loose from the rear sight on both pistols.

That being said......if I were to get a third gun I would try Brazos......just for comparison.....absolutely nothing against Dawson Precision.......they have been a pleasure to deal with...

Best of luck in whatever decision you make !!!

For 3 gun there is nothing wrong really with any 2011 in 9mm. Dawson vs. CK not sure what you are wanting as far as specs but the CRP is an excellent pistol. I would probably look for the short frame to keep it light in 9mm but they also have some tac railed guns that seem to be popular for 3gun. I use a 2011 Legend in 9mm for 3 gun and works great.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic was dead for a while and just recently brought back to life. I am trying to make the same transition from an XDM to 2011.

I think I have a pre owned SVI lined up. I have been out of the game for a while & a buddy of mine didn't stop in the last 20 years. He doesn't shoot super fast, but he makes his hits count.

I just like to shoot. It should be simpler with higher round count and lower recoil.

On 8/8/2016 at 10:03 PM, Kmarsh1966 said:

This topic was dead for a while and just recently brought back to life. I am trying to make the same transition from an XDM to 2011.

I think I have a pre owned SVI lined up. I have been out of the game for a while & a buddy of mine didn't stop in the last 20 years. He doesn't shoot super fast, but he makes his hits count.

I just like to shoot. It should be simpler with higher round count and lower recoil.

If I could only have one I would go with an Eagle in 40.  You can cross over for IDPA and shoot major in USPSA.  Works for 3Gun as well.  Dawson CRP is really just a standard STI with some added parts and a chrome finish which is nice.