Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HDY HAP bullet Issue

Chevy

I have a dillon 550b and trying to load up some HAP 125gr 9mm @ 1.069 col. Once I run through the stages and seat the bullet there is a bulge in the case where the bullet is then the final stage is crimp ok then test in the case guage and is all good then try it the storm lake barrel and its a tight fit and won't seat all the way down. I have tried different brass and even nickel plated and still the same. What seems to be my problem? I'm using all dillon dies. All other bullets are good and have no problem its just with the hornady HAP .

Works in the case gauge but not the Storm Lake barrel? My Storm Lake barrel has a tight chamber and is finicky about bullets too.

You might want to contact Storm Lake (they'll most likely offer to have you send the barrel back and they'd open it up a little more for you) I like their CS.

Many local smith's could ream your chamber for a fair price and have you shooting right away, depending on their work load.

Thanks that would be an option but I live on Vancouver island BC and sending it to storm lake would not be an option but taking it to a gunsmith may be if I can find a good to do that around here. Thanks reaming the chamber sounds like a plan.

If a round fits the case gage and NOT your barrel, then your barrel does not meet SAAMI specifications, which means a case with thick walls won't have the specified room to expand and pressures may be high.

Why can't the barrel be shipped back to SL?

It might also be a short throat. Take a once fired case, knock out the primer with a punch or a nail then fit a bullet on top. Plunk that little guy ointo the SL barrel and pushit in slowly letting the riffing set the OAL. Gently remove the round and measure. That is your max OAL for the HAP bullets. Load to max oal - 0.010". Or find someone with a chamber reamer.

Just try seating the bullet deeper to see if you can get it to chamber. If other bullets are working fine for you it sounds like the bullet needs to be seated a little deeper. Different bullets will require different OAL's to work.

Is the bulge all around the case or only one one "side"? If the latter, you're probably not seating the bullet straight enough.

You might also be seating too deep and running the bullet into thicker brass. If your chamber allows it, try going longer (1.100" or more).

The bulge from the bullet is all around the case and I have tried different cases with the same result even nickel plated case to. They work fine in my M&P 9 core stock barrel but not the storm lake barrel for my glock 17. tried to seat bullet deeper and shorter but the same result won't go down all the way all other bullets I reloaded work fine from Lead RN to TMJ to FMJ and plated ones its just these Hornady HAP .355 ones go figure!

Edited by Chevy

This is a seating and or crimp issues. Size a case and try it in your barrel. If it fits then something is wrong with your reloading process not the barrel. If the sized case fits, load the bullet WITHOUT any crimp and see what happens and if there is a bulge. I suspect you are using a seat and crimp die in the same location and because you are seating the bullets so deep in the case, the crimp is starting before the bullet is seated. If you don't have an issue with other bullets then its clearly a reloading issue.

I think that if you are not using a separate seat and crimp then you should, lee makes a great factory crimp die and this saves you the hassle of setting up the crimp again for each bullet change.

Thats what the Hodgon site said oal 1.069 .. I will try a longer 1.130 - 1.145 and see if it seats in the barrels ..I will give it a go this weekend ..and yes I am using a separate seating and crimp die.. Dillon four stage 550b .

Edited by Chevy

Thats what the Hodgon site said oal 1.069 .. I will try a longer 1.130 - 1.145 and see if it seats in the barrels ..I will give it a go this weekend ..and yes I am using a separate seating and crimp die.. Dillon four stage 550b .

That's their minimum OAL so that given the OAL and the load data, you don't go over-pressure. You can, and in most cases should, load longer than that...limited only by your barrel's chamber and magazine's front to back dimensions.

After all I've read here it seems like a tight chamber in the SL barrel.

I'm all on board with the "bullet in case" for COL, that's what I do when I change bullets. (I made a split case, enlarged flash hole, finished case to determine COL for each caliber I reload for.)

To make it simple, I suggest you just go with a Lee Factory crimp die. It'll resize your round AFTER crimping which could overcome the suspected tight chamber of the SL barrel.

Many don't like the LFC die with lead or coated bullets but your talking HAP bullets.

(next will come the Coke bottle comments, normal.)

I think it's the short oal.

No need to go straight from 1.069 to 1.145. But I'd at least suggest try some at 1.100. That will probably at least let you figure out if the short oal was the issue.

What brand case gauge is it? I'm guessing dillon. They are a little too generous for some very tightly cut chambers. I like the egw gauge. It's not crazy tight (too tight a gauge and you end up with stacks of perfectly good ammo failing the gauge) but within the tighter range of saami specs. I've not come across a barrel tighter than the gauge yet.

For now I'd try the 1.100 oal without changing anything else. If that doesn't work (or even if it does) consider getting and using the lee factory crimp die to replace whatever crimp die you're using now. They are pretty cheap so if you decide you don't like it it's only a $20 experiment. I use them in my 9mm and 38 super loads. And I've never had it resize a bullet and I shoot bullets a ,356 from 124gn to 147gn.

Sounds like it needs a trip back to Storm Lake with a few HAP dummy rounds to me. I don't think I have ever seen loading longer solve this problem with all the other bullets working just fine but anything is possible. May just be a overly tight chamber and reaming is the only answer.

Well the 30.00 experiment seem to work on the HAP issue , went and bought a Lee FCD today and put it in place of my crimp die on my dillon 550B and ran about 15 through and they all fit in the storm lake barrel no problem so. I put the rest of the ones. I had already made through the FCD and it worked out great they all fit now to . Thanks everyone for your in site and knowlage and its awesome that we learn something new everyday from everyone here on this forum.. Thanks million..

AFAIK, that's effectively resizing the HAP bullets smaller. That's not necessarily a good solution to the problem you had. Did you try just loading some to at least 1.1"?

Yes tried loading 1.10, 1.110, 1.120, 1.125, 1.130 ,1.135 none of them would fit in the storm lake barrel until I ran them through the Lee FCD. This did not effect the o.a.l. at all.

Edited by Chevy