Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blocked vs Random

Smitty79

I heard about this on the latest Ben Stoeger podcast. Link to the Training Ugly web site is here.

http://trainugly.com/portfolio/block-random-practice/

There's a couple pages of discussion over on Doodie. While Doodie has some good stuff, there's also a lot of "noise".

I think it's pretty easy to define what Blocked practice is for USPSA or IDPA. Running 20 draw 2's in a row is blocked.

What, exactly, does random practice look like? Is this running simulated stages or running 3 Blakes, then 3 El Prez, then 3 of Brian's transitions then running a round of Frank Garcia's dots?

How should you divide your practice between blocked and random at different stages of development.

New Shooter:

C Class:

A or B:

M or GM:

Top 16 at Nationals:

To me, the higher up the "food chain", the less the focus on isolated skills and the more focus on pulling it all together with "random" training. At the bottom, more focus on basic trigger control, drawing and reloading.

To me a random practice would be more of I was doing a drill and found something else I wanted to work on. That would then possibly continue until the day was done and I hadn't worked on anything I planned.

I think once someone has the basic fundamentals and safety aspects learned, random more closely resembles what IPSC is and could help a lot. We do a lot of basic movements the same in a stage, but the order and frequency is shuffled. This would train your brain a little more to be prepared for random events.

my breakout for training is as follows:

work on the stand and shoot fundamentals of shooting accuractly at speed until you can shoot random classifiers at about the 75% level on command. At that point you are ready to add all the movement stuff into your shooting since if you can't shoot accuractly at speed while standing still, why do you think you'll be better once you add movement?

Most people do not seem to agree wih me on this, however, most people never make it to A class or better either ...

Depending on your true goals for the sport this my not be the right approach for you either

Edited by Nimitz

Nimitz, I'm pretty much with you. My live fire practice is totally stand and shoot. Accuracy and understanding what site picture I need to get good hits are my 2 biggest weaknesses.

I dry fire daily. It's 85% stand and shoot and 15% moving. I tossed in practice for some of the things in Ben's "Training to Win" to work on match performance. My real focus is classifiers.

I am of the thought that when I do a standing reload, that is blocked practice for reloads. When I dry fire practice an El Prez, the reload I do has some of the benefits of random practice.