Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI +5 bases and SSS fit issue

RWF

during the Benos sale I bought 3 TTI +5 bases and thank you for the sale. they do not fit my new SSS large brass new style mag well. if I get it seated. it takes me holding the gun and my wife the pulling the mag, a screw driver was used on my other tries. the TF +5 easy in and drop free.

I tried the TTI in my old style (from about 6 years ago) large limited brass mag well easy in and drop free, same on SSS ESP style mag wells.

u can see on the new large brass limited mag well were the TTI gets stuck in both rear corners, the black is gone.

idea's.

thanks

during the Benos sale I bought 3 TTI +5 bases and thank you for the sale. they do not fit my new SSS large brass new style mag well. if I get it seated. it takes me holding the gun and my wife the pulling the mag, a screw driver was used on my other tries. the TF +5 easy in and drop free.

I tried the TTI in my old style (from about 6 years ago) large limited brass mag well easy in and drop free, same on SSS ESP style mag wells.

u can see on the new large brass limited mag well were the TTI gets stuck in both rear corners, the black is gone.

idea's.

thanks

I had someone ask me the same thing last Tues night, looking at his pistol I realized he didn't have magwell completely seated on the pistol, make sure that there are no gaps between the grip and the magwell when looking at it from the inside. The SSS magwells fit really tight, I just put one on a new pistol a couple of weeks ago and it took a mallet to get it completely seated. Don't try to seat it with the screw, it won't pull it flush. Once it's seated the TTI +5 (they're actually +6) fit fine.

Edited by Bkreutz

idea's.

thanks

I had someone ask me the same thing last Tues night, looking at his pistol I realized he didn't have magwell completely seated on the pistol, make sure that there are no gaps between the grip and the magwell when looking at it from the inside. The SSS magwells fit really tight, I just put one on a new pistol a couple of weeks ago and it took a mallet to get it completely seated. Don't try to seat it with the screw, it won't pull it flush. Once it's seated the TTI +5 (they're actually +6) fit fine.

Just trying to physically force it into place by hand did not work at all (though this was with the aluminum SSS's).

I basically had to do the "tomahawk chop" on the carpeted floor with both of mine to get them to seat.

Note- I take no responsibility nor do I necessarily recommend doing this in the privacy of your own home or shop. I am not an attorney, nor a true gunsmith. And I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

okay i tried remounting the mag well with some love taps (8# weight ) no change. but i noticed if the mounting screw is not in or very loose. i can with 1 hand seat the mag and PULL the mag out with 1 hand. a soon as the mounting screw starts to get snug, i need the pry the mag out. here's a look at the mag well.

007_zpsep44092d.jpg

okay i tried remounting the mag well with some love taps (8# weight ) no change. but i noticed if the mounting screw is not in or very loose. i can with 1 hand seat the mag and PULL the mag out with 1 hand. a soon as the mounting screw starts to get snug, i need the pry the mag out. here's a look at the mag well.

007_zpsep44092d.jpg

It's not fully seated to the rear. There is too much of the grip frame showing. Here's what mine looks like. The filing is to blend the pistol opening and the well, the mags fit fine before filing, I just don't want them to snag when I'm reloading.

i-HSCg4RD.jpg

Here's a TTI mag that fits fine. There are a couple of marks, but all my mags have marks in varying degrees (depends on how many matches I've put them through)

i-qDSN95N.jpg

Here's a picture of the rear of the well from the outside. I think if you compare it to yours you will find that little ledge at the top is not visible in the back. (at least the other one I saw this week with the same problem was not visible)

i-63FjBRr.jpg

I will say that the limited magwell was more difficult than any of the ESP magwells I've installed (3), IIRC I had to sand just a bit of a bevel to the plastic to get the well to go over the end of the grip. Your experience with tightening the screw makes sense because it is angled and when you tighten it, it pulls the well forward. Good luck, keep at it.

What happens if you take a little off the inside edges of the pistol's polymer magwell?

That's what that filing on mine is, the magwell fits over the outside the the grip so filing the inside won't help in getting it fitted. After you get it mounted all the way, then chamfer the inside to eliminate steps.

007_zpsep44092d.jpg

It's not fully seated to the rear. There is too much of the grip frame showing. Here's what mine looks like. The filing is to blend the pistol opening and the well, the mags fit fine before filing, I just don't want them to snag when I'm reloading.

i-HSCg4RD.jpg

Here's a TTI mag that fits fine. There are a couple of marks, but all my mags have marks in varying degrees (depends on how many matches I've put them through)

i-qDSN95N.jpg

Here's a picture of the rear of the well from the outside. I think if you compare it to yours you will find that little ledge at the top is not visible in the back. (at least the other one I saw this week with the same problem was not visible)

i-63FjBRr.jpg

I will say that the limited magwell was more difficult than any of the ESP magwells I've installed (3), IIRC I had to sand just a bit of a bevel to the plastic to get the well to go over the end of the grip. Your experience with tightening the screw makes sense because it is angled and when you tighten it, it pulls the well forward. Good luck, keep at it.

i can not figure how to mount it differently - move it to rear. it looks like may end up putting a file to it.

007_zpsep44092d.jpg

i-HSCg4RD.jpg

i-qDSN95N.jpg

i-63FjBRr.jpg

i can not figure how to mount it differently - move it to rear. it looks like may end up putting a file to it.

Maybe you should call SSS, maybe you got one that's out of tolerance?(just a thought, not likely since they're all CNC machined). Have you tried beveling the outside of the grip?(on the sides and rear, not the front) The grip has to fit into the magwell all the way around.

Here's a dumb question, do you have any stippling or grip tape near the bottom of the front strap? I found out that I had to trim mine a little otherwise it wouldn't fit right at all.

no, just the stock large palm swell, but i will check it out. have not gotten that far yet.

I have a aluminum esp magwell that had the same problem. I had dremel out mainly the back part of the magwell to get tti basepads to drop freely. Another one I know also had the same problem and ended up doing the same.

Here you can see where I took off material, which was almost everywhere, lol. You can also see where it still hits a little. I've been thinking about selling it, considering going back to factory on this one.

DSC01369_zpsqddralc2.jpg

Edited by NisilS14

GOT IT!!!!

using a small hand file set, only on the brass mag well. filed on both rear corners and were the rear of the mag well meets the frame. 2 out of 3 worked great. on the 3rd I had to remove most of the hump at the rear were the mounting screw goes, now all is well. did not do any work on the frame. that may come later.

thanks everyone

i used a thin layer of grease on the edge of the TTI to ext to find out where the last one was binding on the mag well and that's the area on the hump.

012_zpsyocfy2zh.jpg

I noticed in at least one case the gun in question had a stippled grip or back strap. I have a limited and an ESP magwell that I switch between frequently. On me stock gun they barely fit but are easy to get on and off. I think the stippling may be the root cause of the issue. If you reduced the dimensions of the outer diameter of the grip back to stockish you may have better luck. The instructions also state too much torque on the screw can cause the frame to change shape so mags don't drop free. I would imagine this is the case when you have to beat the magwell onto the gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

I finally got the full size M & P I bought the TTI +5 base pads. this is to be a fun gun suppressed reaper dip and so this time a steel SSS ESP mag well. got 2 of the 3 mags with the TTI bases to work easy. on the last one got so pissed broke out the dremmel to very thing. I was giving up then had a wild idea try a different mag body. BE DXMN THAT WAS THE ISSUE.