Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6mm Creedmoor for LRP-07

Doug H.

Speed, flatter trajectory with high BC bullets. I'm hoping to get close to 3000 FPS. My .260 Rem is running near 2750.

One of the better shooters in my club just put together a 6mm rifle, wasn't Creedmoor though, I believe it was 6mm BR. He had a variety of loads last month, about .2 grain difference trying to dial it in. One of the groups were almost on top of each other, he was only shooting 3 shots per group. He was getting 2800-2900 fps as I recall.

Edited by liber

With a 24" tube I was able to get over 3000 with a 105 vld, but it was hell on brass, settled on an accuracy node at 2960. With a similar load in my bolt gun I am running 3165. At least with my last barrel the gas gun was running quite a bit slower than its gas brother with the same length tube. Smitty's last barrel was shorter, but tracked with the velocity I was getting from my gas gun less around 30 fps per inch. Right now both of our barrels are shot out and we are using 308's until we can secure additional barrels. Hopefully a guy whose name sounds a lot like Hen, Pekkins will get us some in the next few months!

While 6 CM is not my choice, I am a supporter of the short action 6mm's. The low recoil and flat trajectory makes them feel like a laser gun. They inspire confidence and give you a larger margin for error in your range finding and wind calls, when every inch counts a little confidence can go a long way. Unfortunately there is a cost for the benefits, hard on brass, expensive components (relative), short barrel life, finicky on gas adjustment in gas guns. Best to save them for matches and use a 308 for practice and fun shooting.

Doug I know for a fact that JP is making some 6MM Creedmoor barrels that our shooting lights out, I don't believe they have them just ye. I also know Dustin there very well. He currently is shooting a JP PSC-12 in 260 Remington. He also shoots 123g bullets, but his velocities are higher than yours. You should give him a call. He also has several other good loads for the 260 as well. I purchased mine from him last year.

Flatter isn't always better here boys. If you're getting 3000fps out of a 6mm 105 and 2750 out of a 6.5mm 140, it's going to be a wash in wind....which is what really matters. The 6.5 will yield longer barrel life and lower pressures which would likely make it less finicky in a gas gun.

Don't get me wrong though, I am a big fan of 6mm and have seen some pretty impressive results from the 6mm gas guns. Good luck with the project Doug, you know you can always give me a buzz if you need anything.

Edited by R-Bros_JLR

I'm shooting my .260 on the bonus targets at Ironman this weekend and hope to have the 6mm barrels in hand next week, I'll make sure to get some pictures and take notes on the loads and groups. I'll be sure to give you a call Jesse if I run into problems!

Doug

• 1 month later...

I'm shooting my .260 on the bonus targets at Ironman this weekend and hope to have the 6mm barrels in hand next week, I'll make sure to get some pictures and take notes on the loads and groups. I'll be sure to give you a call Jesse if I run into problems!

Doug

Been about a month and a half. Curious, any update on this?

A previous 6 creedmore barrel we did using a Hart barrel blank finished at 24" produced a little over 2900FPS out of one of our AR10's. I'm sure it picked up some speed somewhere around the two or three hundred mark. Biggest problem is over gassing and tuning your buffer system to cycle properly when shooting 6 or 6.5 caliber guns out of an AR10 platform. Your shouldn't have a problem hitting your 3000FPS mark but its going to be hell on your brass.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up my barrels and upper from Rainier Arms today. I know Ari had to put some time in on this because their barrel maker did not have the tooling in stock to make a 6mm Creedmoor barrel for my JP LRP-07. Barrels look good, nice shiny chambers and sand blasted stainless finish. My JP comp from the .260 barrel is a little smaller than the new barrels but it looks ok for now and I might look into a different comp later. One problem I found, that has been mentioned on other boards, is the 105s go through the locking lug grooves and hit the barrel below the chamber. I tried raising the forward end of the lips but then the mag interfered with the bolt. Settled on lowering the rear of the lips. A few minutes tweaking magazine feed lips and it feeds fine. Below are photos of modified and unmodified mags. Probably won't be able to modify my MagPul mags so looks will only be using metal ones.

Can't wait to get out later this week and shoot some test loads. If anyone is interested in one of these barrels, contact Ari at Rainier Arms, as of now they are not a catalog item.

Doug

post-8887-0-71605000-1440462193_thumb.jp

post-8887-0-91482600-1440462207_thumb.jp

post-8887-0-60773100-1440462664_thumb.jp

Edited by Doug H.

• 3 weeks later...

Doug I know for a fact that JP is making some 6MM Creedmoor barrels that our shooting lights out, I don't believe they have them just ye. I also know Dustin there very well. He currently is shooting a JP PSC-12 in 260 Remington. He also shoots 123g bullets, but his velocities are higher than yours. You should give him a call. He also has several other good loads for the 260 as well. I purchased mine from him last year.

When I talked with the JP guys last week they said they have 6mm Creed barrels in stock but the are not listed on their website.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got out and shot some test loads. Using Superformance powder from Hornady I ran loads at 41.0, 41.5, 42.0 and 42.5. No pressure signs and most of the rounds went into less than 2" at 200 yards (I wasn't really shooting for groups). Speeds with the 42.5 loads were around 2950 ave. I need to work up a few more grains and find the accuracy nodes but looks like it will be no problem pushing the Berger 105 Hybrids at 3000, which was my initial goal.

Doug

• 3 months later...

Finally got out and shot some test loads. Using Superformance powder from Hornady I ran loads at 41.0, 41.5, 42.0 and 42.5. No pressure signs and most of the rounds went into less than 2" at 200 yards (I wasn't really shooting for groups). Speeds with the 42.5 loads were around 2950 ave. I need to work up a few more grains and find the accuracy nodes but looks like it will be no problem pushing the Berger 105 Hybrids at 3000, which was my initial goal.

Doug

Any update on your project? Had a GAP Bolt gun in 6Creed and regret selling it. My accuracy node was @3050fps w/ 105 Hybrids, H4350, 20thou jump. Shot w/ a guy who had a GAP gas gun in 6Creed and his velocity was lower than mine. We shared same dope to 450 or so and then he started to need more elevation as we went further out. Thing was a laser all the way out to 1100.

My biggest problem so far has been getting the 105 Hybrids to feed. The bullet is so long and thin it can fit between the locking lugs and hits the back of the barrel instead of going in the chamber. I have a JP 6 Creed barrel now that is chamfered around the chamber and feeds every time. Still finishing up load development but looks like I will be around 2950 fps with 44 grains of Superformance.

That's good to hear that you are getting it going. The hybrids being long enough to stick like that is a problem that had never occurred to me. Good luck with it. Are you shooting the upcoming PRS match over there in WA?

That's what I built the gun for, but I need to get it dialed in before I start shooting it in matches.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

As I was unable to source a 234 barrel for my lrp that fit my needs so I went with a jp 6 creed barrel. None of the feed issues that Doug had. load development went quick 1/2 grain less than my 243 load gets a 105 hybrid over 3000. Might try the superformance on the next barrel. I already have plenty of H 4350 to use up.