Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag fed weapons need mags

At my second USPSA match ever I had seen a lot of guys loading a barney round into their guns on the make ready order, and thinking that was a good idea, started doing it myself. The third stage of the match as I was making ready I pulled a mag, loaded a barney, dropped the mag back in my pocket and holstered the gun. After the buzzer I drew, fired one shot and was greatly surprised when my pistol refused to cycle ammunition out of the magazines hanging on my belt. Always remember to seat a fresh magazine before you re-holster at the beginning of a stage.

At my second USPSA match ever I had seen a lot of guys loading a barney round into their guns on the make ready order, and thinking that was a good idea, started doing it myself. The third stage of the match as I was making ready I pulled a mag, loaded a barney, dropped the mag back in my pocket and holstered the gun. After the buzzer I drew, fired one shot and was greatly surprised when my pistol refused to cycle ammunition out of the magazines hanging on my belt. Always remember to seat a fresh magazine before you re-holster at the beginning of a stage.

at least you had magazines on your belt.

at least you had magazines on your belt.

What moto said!

I have been loading my 140mm mags down a round because I had an instance where I made ready, and when I spun and drew on the buzzer had my mag drop right out. :surprise:

I thought I had the thing set and secure when I holstered but that wasn't the case. Of course that was on the initial draw on an El Prez style steel run, I was not happy at all. :angry2:

• 3 weeks later...

At the local USPSA matches, I usually provide coaching as the RO when I see a mistake like this about to happen. For new shooters it is a good idea for the RO to make sure their ready. Since I am the RO, I get to make the discretion if I incur a penalty for the coaching or not. At bigger matches or with very experienced shooters, they're on their own.

I saw someone do it at area 6 last weekend. Loaded table start, they barbeyed up and put the mag in the table. Buzzer went off, one shot click. Took him a few to recover. Funny thing, had a REM halfway through and hit a reshoot

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of weeks ago I had a stage in which the window of time in which to make a reload was pretty short. In order to make 100% certain that the mag would seat easily, I decided to strip off 2 rounds rather than the usual 1. I did this and got distracted (was SO-ing as well)...did it 2 more times so I was down to 11 rounds from my usual 17..as can be predicted I ran dry half way through an array - and since my gun doesn't lock open, it took me a few moments to figure things out - much to my chum's pleasure :goof: