Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun should I buy next?

Squawk

I am interested into getting into competitive shooting and at the same time, I need a new CCW weapon.

I am a huge Springfield Armory fan and see they have released the Range Officer Compact and Champion models, both in 9mm and .45 ACP. If you had to buy one gun that you would use as EDC and use for competition, what would it be and what Division of USPSA or IDPA would it be?

I'd prefer to use a 9mm as the ammo cost is cheaper and I do not currently reload. I don't know much but I thought I read/heard bull barrel 1911 will make it illegal for certain divisions.

I'd like to be fairly competitive with this gun. I know practice and mechanics are going to be more important than the gun. As my father always tells me when golfing after I hit a bad shot and complain I need a new driver, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Any you mentioned will work in USPSA Single Stack. Not sure on IDPA as I don't shoot it. The bull barrel is legal if the barrel is 4.25" or shorter. The main thing is pick one and practice. I prefer 45 for carry. I have my reasons but ammo now a days the 9 will work just as well.

Probably looking into IDPA more as I'm on a budget and IDPA matches typically require less ammo. Or at least that's what I've heard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most USPSA local club matches will be 125-160 rounds. I do not shoot IDPA regularly but have shot a hand full and generally have been 50-80 rounds per match. A compact 1911 in 9mm is good for IDPA just not sure what division it would put you in. I'm sure a regular IDPA shooter will chime in.

How about a plastic gun that you can carry, shoot USPSA production and IDPA SSP? I carry a lightweight 45 and have shot it in matches but its not nearly as much fun as a steel 5" gun but the big gun is a drag to carry.

I just started shooting idpa and am shooting a XDm 3.8 in the new CCP division. I'm shooting .40. 9 would be better but I have .40 so that's what I shoot.

Shot my first match on Sunday. Didnt do really well but I ESS safe and learned a lot.

Shot about 80 rounds. My understanding of USDPA is that the round count is much higher.

Probably looking into IDPA more as I'm on a budget and IDPA matches typically require less ammo. Or at least that's what I've heard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IDPA max round count per stage is 18 required... USPSA is 32... I love both... But if ammo is an issue IDPA is the way to go. I also think that if you get well rounded in IDPA then go USPSA you'll do well.

That being said, the CCP category would be the way you wanted to go. Compete with the weapon you carry... Can't beat it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy the style the gun you like to shoot such as 1911,Glock or whatever and buy the best you can afford. I would rather save for the gun I want vs one I really don't and settle. Yes you can sell it and upgrade later but it somehow never works out that way and ends up costing you more in the long run especially with all the other gear you need that may be specific to a type of gun. My 2cents worth.

Well, I'd approach it like this, how much of the time will you carry it versus how much time you'll compete with it? is it going to be primarily a comp gun or carry gun? I have back problems, and live somewhere it is really hot for a lot of the year. Even though I shoot SS, I don't carry one, maybe you can comfortably and in that case awesome, I'd get a good solid 1911 and shoot that in competition.

If the size and weight are a problem for carry then I think you got a great suggestion above, the 3.8 xdm is awesome. The great thing about that platform is they are accurate, you're not gonna be hurt too much by the shorter barrel length, and wight he extended magazines the grip is full size. I have one in 45, I love it, great gun.

Ultimately you need at least two guns, or more :D

Red

Glock 17 would make a good comp and carry gun. If you are just getting into competition, I would start with a Glock...

That would be my suggestion as well. Carries well with a good belt and holster, but also nice to shoot all day. Reasonably priced. Parts, mags, and other accessories are cheap and easy to find, Upgrade the sights and maybe the trigger and it'll be a fine carry gun as well as well suited for USPSA Production or IDPA SSP.