Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MAJOR in STI Mags without spacers

Sarge

Have you ran 9Major in a 38 super mag without spacers? AND, did they run 100%? What length? I'm thinking of getting some 38 followers and experimenting. I'm having trouble lately getting my spacers to stay put and I really don't want to weld them since that is pretty permanent.

And sorry, no I don't want to buy all new MBX or search for old SV tubes. I have no problem with the capacity of my STI mags.

Edited to add: I don't like rattles so I am not going to run them loose.

Thanks!

Edited by Sarge

I run spacers in my STI mags at 1.145" - 1.17",

and same ammo in old SVI mags without spacers.

Not sure why you'd have trouble keeping the

spacers in place? No problem here, with eight

year old mags/spacers.

year old mags/spacers.

year old mags/spacers.

Not sure either. Epoxy fails quickly even after roughing the surfaces. The best luck I have had is with silicone. It typically holds for a season but I keep finding loose ones in my mags.

Im using sti magazines 140 and 170mm in my 9major, grams spring and 38s follower. Mine run 100%. But i have to load 1.1889" to run it without spacers. I did had some trouble when i was using 9mm follower. But since i switched to 38s follower it runs 100%. Alvin

Hello: I have had the best results using Dawson 38 followers in the STI tubes without spacers for 9mm. I load to 1.170" OAL. Each tube is different so you may be able to get away without spacers but it is worth a try. Loose metal spacers work fine also and easier to clean. Thanks, Eric

Sorry, Sarge, I didn't understand your problem - you're trying to

keep the spacers in the mag when you take it apart ...

I don't do that - I just place the spacer in the mag when I

reassemble it, and remove it each time I clean the mag -

I take the extra few seconds to clean the spacer as well.

So, short answer - I can't keep my spacer in either, but I

don't try to keep it in - I like that I can remove it each time

and clean it with the rest of the mag. :cheers:

I have run some but I purchased a mag from Foxbat on here and he said he ran thousands and thousands of 9Major in the STI 38 Super mag - no spacer. I think he was running 1.170, I ran 1.165 and I didn't have an issue with that mag. Another STI mag did give me some problems (nose dives, FTF) but I never isolated it to the spacer, I just purchased some SV mags after that and was done with it. There was a long thread about it years ago and I think most who didn't have problems were running 1.165 and above.

Mr. Hardy, who makes some of the best spacers, said you shouldn't make those spacers permanent either.

I just used the original STI plastic spacers and held them in place with some high-strength double-sided tape that we have here in our shop at work. (Used for attaching large engraved signs onto industrial control panels, etc.) More than three years and they're still in there, and haven't moved.

I run spacers in my 9mm mags... use 2 sided tape to hold them in place, but can be easily dis-mantled if deemed necessary.. no problems using 2 sided tape for 2 years..

I've tried to use my 38S mags (from STI Trubor) with 38S Grams follower in my 9 major and it will not run reliably. I run a thin bead of clear silicone on the steel spacer to hold the spacer in the tube. Stuff paper inside the tube overnight to compress the spacer in place. No rattle and it's not permanent.

Edited by klee

I've tried to use my 38S mags (from STI Trubor) with 38S Grams follower in my 9 major and it will not run reliably. I run a thin bead of clear silicone on the steel spacer to hold the spacer in the tube. Stuff paper inside the tube overnight to compress the spacer in place. No rattle and it's not permanent.

I used to stuff them but finally made some jigs to clamp the spacer in while the silicone sets up. They still work loose on some of the mags sometimes.

I just used the original STI plastic spacers and held them in place with some high-strength double-sided tape that we have here in our shop at work. (Used for attaching large engraved signs onto industrial control panels, etc.) More than three years and they're still in there, and haven't moved.

I run spacers in my 9mm mags... use 2 sided tape to hold them in place, but can be easily dis-mantled if deemed necessary.. no problems using 2 sided tape for 2 years..

Can either or both of you guys tell me what brand the tape is you had success with?

It was told to me by Beven that although sometimes an STI 9mm/38 super mag may run reliably for some with 9mm ammo, the STI 9mm/38 super tubes are just not designed to run reliably with 9mm ammo, without a spacer that is. The location of the front control rib is what makes the problem appear. The top of the case could get stuck along the rear beveled edge of the front control rib as the rounds are feeding up through the mag. The spacer moves the rounds forward enough so as this does not happen, keeps the side of the case on the "high" side of the front control rib inside the tube.

I know, there are some to many, as listed above, that have had no problems without spacers, just passing along what the mag master explained to me.

It was told to me by Beven that although sometimes an STI 9mm/38 super mag may run reliably for some with 9mm ammo, the STI 9mm/38 super tubes are just not designed to run reliably with 9mm ammo, without a spacer that is. The location of the front control rib is what makes the problem appear. The top of the case could get stuck along the rear beveled edge of the front control rib as the rounds are feeding up through the mag. The spacer moves the rounds forward enough so as this does not happen, keeps the side of the case on the "high" side of the front control rib inside the tube.

I know, there are some to many, as listed above, that have had no problems without spacers, just passing along what the mag master explained to me.

I'm sure he knows more than most about it but it seems a long round would overcome that. I guess I'll get my hands on a mag or two and try it out.

I would try the tape, keep re epoxying them or just get over the OCD and run them loose like everyone else dones. Never hear a rattle if they are loaded. The non spacer in 9mm is soo hit or miss not worth the reliability given up to run it like that

Interesting topic. I recently found out that loose spacers where causing issues for me as well. The mags were STI 140's with grams springs & followers, TTI 7G basepads, and TTI aluminum 140 spacer. The spacer would set just low enough to allow the top round to sit on top of the spacer making the mags non-reloadable . Ended up using RTV to attach the spacer to the tube.

Interesting topic. I recently found out that loose spacers where causing issues for me as well. The mags were STI 140's with grams springs & followers, TTI 7G basepads, and TTI aluminum 140 spacer. The spacer would set just low enough to allow the top round to sit on top of the spacer making the mags non-reloadable . Ended up using RTV to attach the spacer to the tube.

Same here. Not often but sometimes it will slide way down