Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT and laser training for a revo guy.

collards

Hi everyone,

I am about to move down to SC into an area where an outdoor range will go from a 5 minute drive to a 45 minute drive. As a result, I am going to need to likely make dry-fire training a bigger part of my regimen than ever before. Right now I shoot a GP100 in SSR IDPA, and I do like shooting the revo, but all the fun dry-fire tools are mostly available for the pistol market.

I was wondering if any other revolver shooters had experimented with the SIRT and the LASR software or other options in dry-fire, and whether or not they had seen gains as a result. Now, I fully realize that the BEST gains would likely come from dry-firing with the same platform you use in live fire and competition, but I am really asking about the potential for cross-over gains on things like bill drills, target transitions etc (not reloads obviously).

In my opinion , the best platform for most effective dry fire would be revolver. You dryfire exactly like you would fire in a match, double action all the time. Where as in a semi, you just kinda moosh the trigger pretending to single action dryfire.

I'm with Alec on this one. Dry fire your gun, watch your sights, use tiny targets, and practice revolver reloads.

As much fun as a SIRT pistol looks, it would seem to me that people stop looking at the sights and start looking at the dot on the target, which doesn't sound productive for practice.

Yeah I agree also on using your own gun. I have a sirt and even when I was shooting a Glock often, it wasn't the same as just using my own gun. The trigger is different and part of dryfire training is watching our sights. The laser takes away from that, I feel. You can block the laser and do away with that but I think you're better off just using your own gun, especially seeing you're training with a revolver which always has the trigger pull you will be using in real life, unlike striker fired, single action, and double/single guns. I do think it's a good tool for beginners though to teach a straight back trigger pull.

I like the laser lyte triple tyme. I put the insert into single action revos it really works. The receivers will not tolerate a swipe by so it really works on follow through at distances greater than thirty feet. It lights up for a split second at the hammer strike. Jerky trigger pull gets a slash of laser light across the receiver while smooth trigger pulls show a small dot. Good feed back through the non dominant eye as well as the flashing target and beep. Also has a reaction time...on demand mode where the target lights up like whack a mole and you have a limited time to react and deliver a hit.

Archived