Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I Making Par Time in Dry Fire?

Smitty79

For the really fast dry fire drills, from about 1.2 seconds and under, it's really hard to tell if I'm making the par time. When I do something like El Prez with around a 4.5 sec par time, I am regularly a couple tenths of a second over or under and I can hear the difference. When I'm doing a draw to 0.6 seconds, it's close enough I just can't tell. Maybe it doesn't really matter. But I'd like to know.

The only video camera that I have is my iPhone. Is there some kind of play back software that shows the sound along side of the video so that I can see the end par time start and see where I am with the motion of my gun?

I wouldnt try stopping at the buzzer. You will start to anticipate it and stop early and you are pulling your focus off were it should be. There is a video of Rob Leatham at the Shot Show demoing the draw and he said at the 0.60 sec par time, he was able to tell if he made it for sure without the pistol firing and registering on the clock. Ive never been able to tell "officially" that I have made it at that speed either, but with regular practice my times for that drill in live fire have dropped into the high 0.6, low 0.7 range.