Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem changing the sear

Wesquire

The sear housing will fit. Pull back on the hammer ever so slightly and it will scoot back just a hair. Hold it in place and reinstall safety.

When I do that, the trigger doesn't work. It only releases to the half cocked position.

If you installed the sear correctly, installed it into the sear housing correctly, and got it to go into the frame and installed the safety...only thing I can think of is to check your overtravel screw and make sure it's not too far out and not letting the trigger go back far enough.

Someone with more experience than I will have to answer beyond that point.

What sear did you put in it?

Edited by Prov1x

If you installed the sear correctly, installed it into the sear housing correctly, and got it to go into the frame and installed the safety...only thing I can think of is to check your overtravel screw and make sure it's not too far out and not letting the trigger go back far enough.

Someone with more experience than I will have to answer beyond that point.

What sear did you put in it?

It is a one piece. It drops to half cocked every time.

post-55005-0-82774700-1427332345_thumb.j

post-55005-0-98657300-1427332354_thumb.j

The leg portion on the top of the sear on the left is what you need to push down as you slide the sear back. It's dropping to half cock because the sear is jammed on the hammer and isn't lifting with the trigger pull. As you install the sear pay attention to where the sear face touches the hammer; it needs to clear the portions of the hammer that the sear engage.

We had this discussion on another post. That sear is for a single action gun. It doesn't have an arm to engage the firing pin block.

At least if what I am seeing in the photo is correct. Is this a EGW sear for limited and open guns? It looks the same.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/EGW-Hard-Sear-for-EAA-Tanfoglio-Limited-Open-p/egw-sear.htm

Is that the one you purchased?

WJM

Edited by WJM

That doesn't look like the EGW sear I know of. Yes it's missing the bump for the FPB but on the EGW sear I have where that bump/leg should be is just a spacer looking piece (it's all 1 piece though). his sear looks different.

Sometimes we get lucky and parts are 100% drop in. sometimes they need fitting.

I just did the henning gear on my open gun. Trigger went into frame nicely as did trigger pin (sometimes both need some fitting). but then trigger would not quite reset with factory hammer and sear (even with overtravel screw all the way in). so I went ahead and fitted the EGW/henning sear. first of all it was too wide for the sear cage! yes I had to file down the spacer side just to get it in. Got it in and hammer would now bounce to half cock after dry fire. remove it all again and clearance the bottom of the hammer. That problem fixed but now with the length of the new sear hammer will not cock (ie rotate far enough for the sear to catch the hooks) by cycling the slide by hand. if I push down while cycling it will catch and it works 100% in live fire. still haven't fixed that one (can really only be solved by shortening the sear and recutting the sear angles = pain in the arse of a job!).

so, if something is not working you need to look at what has changed? think about how the gun works, how the trigger resets etc.

why is single action not working? when hammer is cocked and you pull the trigger does the sear lift at all? do you have the pre-travel or overtravel adjusted? if not have you tried adding in more pre and over travel? did that solve it?

ahh ok. So when you rack the slide the hammer is not rotating far enough to let the sear drop into the hammer hooks?

Have you tried it in live fire? have you tried cocking the hammer by hand?

I had a similar problem with my EGW sear and EGW hammer. Cycling the slide by hand the sear would not catch the hammer hooks. cocking by hand worked fine. It was such a tiny amount that if I pushed down on the slide as I racked it it would catch. I tried it in live fire and it worked 100%. It was basically either hammer slightly too short (not getting pushed down enough by slide rail), play in slide, or my feeling is the sear blade is too long (longer the sear blade the further the hammer has to rotate to get caught on the sear).

In live fire everything is working hard so it worked fine. but was a pain for unloaded starts!

ahh ok. So when you rack the slide the hammer is not rotating far enough to let the sear drop into the hammer hooks?

Have you tried it in live fire? have you tried cocking the hammer by hand?

I had a similar problem with my EGW sear and EGW hammer. Cycling the slide by hand the sear would not catch the hammer hooks. cocking by hand worked fine. It was such a tiny amount that if I pushed down on the slide as I racked it it would catch. I tried it in live fire and it worked 100%. It was basically either hammer slightly too short (not getting pushed down enough by slide rail), play in slide, or my feeling is the sear blade is too long (longer the sear blade the further the hammer has to rotate to get caught on the sear).

In live fire everything is working hard so it worked fine. but was a pain for unloaded starts!

It doesn't cock by hand either. The two piece sear is a PITA to put in, and I'm sure I just put it in wrong. The parts will be changed as soon as they come in, so no worries.

What did you do to fix this? Im about to get Hennings EGW sear/Hammer kit. I dont want to have to work the sear face.