Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI 12.5 lb recoil spring For Govt. Model

Putty

You have to check the ISMI 12.5lb. for coil bind when you install it. The compressed length is longer than other similar springs.

I used to have to cut 4 coils off this spring, until I modified the recoil plug to accept the length.

In my Viper, Wolff and ISMI recoil springs both quickly took a set and became unusable. I killed Wolffs in around 1000-1500 rounds. I killed a couple of ISMIs in < 1000 rounds each. These were 12lb variable Wolffs, and 12.5lb ISMIs.

Matt Burkett turned me onto the Sprinco springs - I had a 12lb in the gun for around 12K+ rounds w/ no signs of loss of spring pressure. Damn fine part.

ISMI springs worked *great* in my mags, though....

Dave

i've tested wolff springs after thousands of rounds and found them within a half pound or less of original weight.

Dan - how long have you been actively testing Wolff springs?? A while back (say, 5+ years ago), it seemed like they were somewhat inconsistent, and seemed to die quickly in some folks' guns (their lifetime seemed to be a mixed bag - some lasted longer than others, etc). Perhaps they've improved quality since then, or something?

I didn't do extensive testing over a bunch of springs - just shot through 3 (I think?) Wolff springs, 1 ISMI, and 1 Sprinco in my gun.... and talked to a bunch of people about them at the time. Once I found what worked for me, it seemed pointless to keep playing around :) :) :)

Dave

i think the consistency of springs comes and goes from all the spring manufacturers. but i have found wolff to be the most consistent. i just took a 9# spring out of one of my open guns and checked it, it measured almost exactly 9# and it has been in that gun for at least a year or more.