Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Magazine Capacities

So I can't help but notice that all of the major match rule sets still cap Heavy divisions at 20 rounds. I am wondering why that is.

.40 round PMags and 60 round Surefire mags are the norm in .223 divisions now. Now that you can throw a base pad on a 25 round .308 pmag and get 31 rounds in the mag, why haven't the rules for heavy divisions caught up like they have in other divisions.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about that.

"The reason is why the mag rules don't change with the times." No, the question is why don't the rules change with the times and the answer is that the majority of people shooting those divisions don't want it to change. When enough people ask for the change it will happen. Look at all the other rule changes that have happened over the last 10 years.

Doug

JJ says get rid of (expletive deleted) 9mm in anything called a Heavy division, and he'll give you your 25 or 30 round mags!

I'm just the messenger...he's driving!

:wub:

But, my question is: with the cost of .308, why don't you just bare down and hit the targets the first time anyway? Then you wouldn't need bigger mags!

JJ adds - "Aim more, shoot less!"

The >25rd 308 mags havn't been around very long and they are onlly (cost effectively) for LR308 platforms. In HM we see a wide range of platforms in use and they all take different mags. Extending the mag capacity would give a big advantage to a single rifle type and thus penalize those not shooting that platform. In the WeeMan divisions 99% of the competitors run AR15's. pretty easy to please the majority there. I would love nothing better than to slap in a 50rd drum and let my 308 off it's chain, but I just don't see any real benefit to the divisions by allowing one gun type such a huge advantage. The 3gn rule change is a unique attempt to combine 2 divisions and it really is just an experiment at this point. We'll havr to see how it works out in the 2015 season. The rule I would rather see change is the pistol magazine capacity. I like the idea of going to a 15rd limit or to a 140mm mag length. There are plenty of cost effective 45's out there with plenty of base pad options.

WE (At RM3G) have not watered it down. If you like HMI or HMS I suggest shooting HeMan Nationals and/or RM3G.

jj

JJ, one of these days I'd love to make it out there. I'd probably dig out the gear and shoot the Garand, just for kicks. :devil:

I'll start a real fire, I wish tac-optics would gage a 30rd mag and make it the limit just like 140 and 170 mags in USPSA. Make it about shooting and running a system not what toys you have. I'm going to run and hide now. :devil:

I'll start a real fire, I wish tac-optics would gage a 30rd mag and make it the limit just like 140 and 170 mags in USPSA. Make it about shooting and running a system not what toys you have. I'm going to run and hide now. :devil:

Why? What's a 40 round Pmag cost? $3 more than a 30 rounder maybe? I wouldn't call bigger mags extravagant toys.

Why? What's a 40 round Pmag cost? $3 more than a 30 rounder maybe? I wouldn't call bigger mags extravagant toys.

Agreed. If you wanna limit mags go shoot factory. Limited to 30rd mags exactly like you want. Edited by Dewberry

Kinda like the immensely popular IDPA multi-gun ;)

I like the idea of testing my shooting skills, all of them. In the last two years I can only remember one rifle reload at a match and that was required on a standards stage. I did not say we should run 10rd mags but something similar to the 140mm we run in limited. I see tac-optics and uspsa limited as very similar as far as limits on equipment. If you want to run the biggest mags you can find great that is what open is for, heck I'm for removing the 170mm limit in open. I think open should be like the name implies. Not trying to start trouble, just stating my opinion.

Agreed. If you wanna limit mags go shoot factory. Limited to 30rd mags exactly like you want.

I am going to shoot factory. I do appreciate that I can use my gear from last year, but I am not a fan of the reduced capacity.

Agreed. If you wanna limit mags go shoot factory. Limited to 30rd mags exactly like you want.

I am going to shoot factory. I do appreciate that I can use my gear from last year, but I am not a fan of the reduced capacity.

Honestly I think it will be good for the division in the long run. They needed to separate it from Practical (tac-ops) somehow. At some point I will be trying my hand at Practical.

Honestly I think it will be good for the division in the long run. They needed to separate it from Practical (tac-ops) somehow. At some point I will be trying my hand at Practical.

Yes I think they should have restricted capacity in practical, it is easier to hit long targets with a scope:). Most people that I know that buy their first AR buy a cheap 1x4 or something with the gun anyhow. Whatever, it is what it is. I am thankful for all the effort and hardwork these guys put forth running the matches!