Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 Smokeless power

DRider8

I've ordered and received more than once this year, sometimes via winning the Powder Valley lottery (getting there at the right time ...), also by regularly checking all the major folks, also if/when any offer ability to backorder, to take advantage of that. Get on the alerts for stock, watch the threads for 'in stock powder, get some friends to hunt with you. (Powder Valley, Grafs, 3rd Generation Shooting Supply, MidSouth Shooters Supply, Midway USA, Brownells, etc.)

If you consistently put the work in, over time you'll get some. If you don't have the time to do that, use the info above to Fetterly, he'll ship, just view his premium on items and shipping as $$ in exchange for the time you didn't have to put in hunting for it, and being able to get NOW :-)

do you think it will be less available since VV was sold to another company? Company sale can sometimes result in supply issues...?

I believe it's just distributed by Hodgdon now, not sure that VV was sold....

Vihtavuori was bought last year from Eurenco by the Nammo Group (Lapua's parent company). Supply was heavily disrupted for a while, things are getting better with VV supply since the sale, not worse.

I stand corrected.

Well, not entirely wrong, it is distributed by Hodgdon and is still challenging to obtain. :goof:

I've ordered and received more than once this year, sometimes via winning the Powder Valley lottery (getting there at the right time ...), also by regularly checking all the major folks, also if/when any offer ability to backorder, to take advantage of that. Get on the alerts for stock, watch the threads for 'in stock powder, get some friends to hunt with you. (Powder Valley, Grafs, 3rd Generation Shooting Supply, MidSouth Shooters Supply, Midway USA, Brownells, etc.)

If you consistently put the work in, over time you'll get some. If you don't have the time to do that, use the info above to Fetterly, he'll ship, just view his premium on items and shipping as $$ in exchange for the time you didn't have to put in hunting for it, and being able to get NOW :-)

do you think it will be less available since VV was sold to another company? Company sale can sometimes result in supply issues...?

I believe it's just distributed by Hodgdon now, not sure that VV was sold....

Vihtavuori was bought last year from Eurenco by the Nammo Group (Lapua's parent company). Supply was heavily disrupted for a while, things are getting better with VV supply since the sale, not worse.

I stand corrected.

Well, not entirely wrong, it is distributed by Hodgdon and is still challenging to obtain. :goof:

Seems easier in West coast for some reason...East coast has always been tight on getting supplied

Yes. It's been over a year now since vv was sold and my experience in a distant and comparatively small market (Australia) is that supply has improved from how it was in the year leading up to the sale (perhaps some turmoil before the sale). My experience is only with their pistol powders (mainly 3N38, N350, 3N37 and N320) but I assume rifle powder is more readily available too.

Someone earlier in the thread speculated that perhaps the domestic made powders were more difficult to get as those manufacturers also make complete rounds and favour their ammo production over selling reloading supplies.

I think that's probably a fair guess. We have a pretty decent powder manufacturer in Australia (ADI - owned by Thales). We often suffer patchy supply with certain powders because of 2 reasons. One is they export a large portion of their production to the U.S. (sold under the hodgdon) brand. The other is using powder for loaded rounds.

Edited by BeerBaron

Just saw some N320 come in here. They can keep it for 59.99 per pound!!!

We are beginning an inflationary cycle here in the US....I don't like rising prices either nor will I get stuck in the "good o' days when powder was..."

I buy what's available and shoot it. And live life... No need to buy the next 10 years worth...just 4 pounds here and there

Just saw some N320 come in here. They can keep it for 59.99 per pound!!!

We are beginning an inflationary cycle here in the US....I don't like rising prices either nor will I get stuck in the "good o' days when powder was..."

I buy what's available and shoot it. And live life... No need to buy the next 10 years worth...just 4 pounds here and there

For sure, I have 2 pounds of N320 left, after that it would be a last resort. In the meantime other powders will be used.