Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Systems Magazine questions...

Forrest Halley

So I have a recently souped up 10mm that shed a rampless barrel and donned a fully supported bull barrel. I have a Smith and Alexander arched and checkered MSH/mag well. I am not a fan of the Colt magazines at this point as the baseplate seems very malleable and weak. I have looked into a few different magazines, but the pool seems shallow.

I will state that this setup needs to be very reliable as it will serve for quite a bit more than range use.

After reading the threads that came up in search I submit the following questions:

How reliable is the standard 9 rd 10mm as opposed to the Corey magazine?

Do these interface with the S&A magwell without modification?

How much do they each protrude below the mag well? I'm looking for positive seating on the reloads.

I'm assuming the "System" magazine is well out of my need envelope and more trouble than it is worth in my case. I'd appreciate compact increased capacity of ten rounds, but from previous submissions it would appear to be a reliability concern.

Please feel free to expound upon this...I'll listen eagerly. Thanks!

I have the 9MM Tripp mags and they work fine with a SA magwell. More than enough room to seat positively. From I I have seen, it is the same for the other competition oriented mags.

Edited by fastluck13

I have used the tripp corey mags and tripp cobra 10mm mags with my .40 1911.

Both feed and function perfectly with 8 rounds. I wouldn't trust them at all with 9 rounds in them. It may be a .40 issue but the second round slides forward when you load 9 in the mag and always nosedives and fails to feed. If I want 9 in the magazine, I always barney one, and then load another after verifying the top round hasn't slid forward.

Not sure if this is an issue when loading long but at 1.180 in .40, it has been for me in two different 1911's.

Interesting observations. With all the trigger time I am putting in getting the gun running right for 10mm the bug to run .40 major is also biting. I fell in love with .40 for its recoil impulse in revolver division so it's a natural carry over to another division. I feel like it's faster.

Thanks for that push...I'll be looking to fit a forty barrel at some point...with a bushing...

What magazine wells are you using?

I've been using the Corey mags for a while now with my .40 1911. I have not had any issues shooting the gun loaded to 8 or 9. No issues with the mags not ejecting, in fact zero issues at all with these mags and the hybrid follower that comes with the Corey mags.

The Corey mags are a little longer than a typical Tripp Cobra mag, and as a result they stick out of the gun a little further, but they do fit the SS box (the front half of the base pad is ground down by Tripp just enough so it fits). I'm using a Techwell XT magwell which is pretty deep so I appreciate the extra length. You would not have any issues with seating the mag if you're using a S&A.

I sometimes shoot L-10 for s&g's, so I bought some of the Flex followers to be able to use the same mag body and increase capacity to 10. I am not sure what the deal is, but the Flex follower will sometimes pop out the top of the mag which hangs it up when you go to slide lock and you have to manually strip the mag out. But if you don't go to slide lock, no problems. Re-install the hybrid follower and no problems, so I am pretty sure its the Flex follower. Some people I know that have the same setup have said theirs does this as well.

IMO, the hybrid follower is the way to go for reliability, and depending on the magwell you are using the extra length of the Corey mag may be beneficial to you.

I use them in competitive shooting and there fine

My carry mags are old 9 round colt delta elite mags with cmc guts and they always run

tripps a great company call them and they will give you the straight up

Thanks everybody I am ordering Corey magazines due to the followers and the extra room. Everything weighed out some hard core single stack people are telling me the hybrid followers are the way to go. I won't need ten rounds for my purposes and should I decide to play L10...the full length mags are available. Thank you again.