Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Rifle Load Suggestions...

eringobragh

Hey gang,

Had a dreadful experience today at our local three gun match...decided to be cheap, and skimp on the rifle ammo. Bought some Wolf and it basically turned my Bushmaster into a single shot rifle! Ran some of a buddies rounds through it after the match, and all went 100% perfect. My question is, I don't want to reload rifle rounds...I love loading for my handguns, but absolutely hate doing rifle rounds...what factory loads are you guys using, and are there any that are better suited toward 3-Gun's 150 PF...i.e...are there any light factory loads available?

Ammoman.com has some OK prices on Lake City 55gr FMJ at $189/1000 and Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ at $219/1000. Those are very shootable prices and both are good quality ball, just depends on whether your barrel shoots it accurately. Both should function in any properly setup AR.

http://ammoman.com/webstore_223.htm

--

Regards,

Hey Benny, is that the direct wholesale price to licensed ammo dealers, or is that a retail price on their stuff from someone else?

I checked the site and found that you have to be a licensed dealer to purchase from them!

http://www.ultramaxammunition.com/orderinginfo.php

I’ll stop re-loading practice ball ammo for $139/1000. But the only prices I found (so far) for ultramax .223 55 ball were $12/50 on wholesalehunter.com and $51.99/250 at Midway.

--

Regards,

That Malaysian 5.56mm in the white boxes is really good stuff. It's M193 spec, fragments at appropriately velocities (which is meaningless for 3-Gun, obviously), and shoots well in most guns. Does that store STILL have some? I haven't seen it for years.

Anyway ... what I do is keep an eye out for the sales and specials. When any of the following brands get to $3 per box of 20 in 1000 round lots, I get some.

American Eagle 55gr (AE223)

UMC 55gr

PMC 55gr (should be okay now that minor is only 150 pf)

IN addition to the vendors above, Natchez Shooters Supply is usually a good source, as are Wholesale Hunter, and several others.

The best place to find good deals on ammo is AR15.com in the Ammunition Forum.