Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil springs

Shootinsurveyor

New guy here. Will putting a 20lb spring in my 5" pro series make it return to battery faster? I have come to find that I can track sights better on guns with shorter barrels because the front sight seems to come back on line faster. M&p9c shoots great fast for me. Also 4.25 1911s. I just seems to prefer a shorter gun, but I really like this 5" too. Any suggestions that could make it "snappier" with standard 124gr loads.

If you run a 20 lb spring, you might end with ejection problems unless you really bump up the power factor. The stock should be a 16 lb so you'll have to have some strong loads. Do you have the factory weight now or did you change it? On compacts, they normally run a pound or two higher than the full size models.

Another way to make it snappy is to use 115 gr or 95 gr bullets and push the speed up. Do you reload?

Also, there is a subforum specifically for springs, this should be put there...

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by gng4life

I do reload, but just rifle. I have the factory one which came on the gun and seems to be worn out based on thenfact that i can push it out of battery with a fingertip. Def time for a new spring regardless of the weight. I have a 15 and 20 to try now so Ill see what happens and maybe ill go for a 17lb that I think I saw online. Thanks for going easy on the new guy asking questions in the wrong spot. Ive seen it not go so nice in other spots.

I think you are going the wrong way. Lighter springs seem to reduce muzzle flip for me and bring the slide back into my hand. Makes for flatter shooting. As the M/P sometimes does not like reduced power springs and will not take the slide back into battery on occasion. I use the lightest spring that will bring it back into battery every time. Also Wolf reduced springs work much better for me in the M/P. They have a nice 3 pack of reduced springs for not much money. I don't know why.

Your question was about M/P functioning. You may or may not get more responses in the Spring section. I think you are fine posting your question here.

Your question was about M/P functioning. You may or may not get more responses in the Spring section. I think you are fine posting your question here.

What is the spring subforum for then?

His topic was "Recoil springs", his discussion and question was about putting in a heavier spring in a pistol. The rest are just statements. I can't think of a better candidate for the "Springs" subforum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=28

I run a DPM recoil system in both my 9L and 40 pro. it was money well spent for me.

if you start running light springs, then the mp will then to not want to go into battery, it will also not want to strip the next round off the mag. that was my experience with light springs.

I run a DPM recoil system in both my 9L and 40 pro. it was money well spent for me.

if you start running light springs, then the mp will then to not want to go into battery, it will also not want to strip the next round off the mag. that was my experience with light springs.

+1 on the DPM, it does work.

However, I do have another one with an 11 lb spring in it and use it with light bullets and it always goes into battery. It all depends on your setup and if it is dragging somewhere. A 13 lb seems to ideal for Minor stuff though.

I think it is 14lb Wolf in my 5 inch. As I recalled I got a reduced spring 3 pack with the heaviest being 15lbs. I used the middle one, liked it and left it in. I could never get any ISMI springs of less than 16 pounds to run more than a 100 rounds without going in to battery problems.

Subjectively, I could feel the difference from the 16lb stock spring.

When I shot 1911's a lot I was a big spring changer. Kind of like an oil change. Was last running a 11 pound which has about 15,000 rounds on it. The above 5 inch M/P has maybe 5,000 on that spring. I now no longer change unless I have a problem which I haven't had once with a recoil spring. Magazine springs, are a different animal. 2 malfunctions with a nose in the feed ramp jam and that magazine gets a new spring. I don't recommend any of this but it is what I do. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I run a 14lb in my M&P pro. I used to run a 12 or lb but had to up it for reliability. With the lighter spring the gun would actually come out of battery when I would press out on the draw.

I would think that the 20lb would significantly increase the likely hood of the gun walking down on you. I felt that even the factory recoil spring slammed into battery hard enough to cause the muzzle to drop.