Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help a newbie out on 308 Win round

my reloading guides have bullets from 150 gr. to 200gr. i mainly do pistol and the guides are pretty much narrowed. im looking for a 100 yd target so do i start low or a med bullett. sorry dont know why this is kicking my ass. thanks.

If you are looking for acurate load you need to consider the twist rate on the barrel fast or slow.

For example in my 308 10 to 1 twist I use the 175 gr SMK but I shoot a lot further than 100 yrd using Varget for powder. For 11 or 12 to 1 the lighter bulet wil work but I seen some 10 to 1 twist shoot the 155 gr SMK very good at close and long range about the 700 + yrd.

So you might want to experiment with bullets.

Just my opnion no offence takin I think the 200 gr is a bet too heavy for 308 if you not planing on using it for suppressor.

Flatbase, lighter bullets will probably shoot an overall tighter group than the 155, 168, or 175 for 100 yards. There is really no reason for a heavier bullet unless you are shooting a longer range. At distance, boat tails have a much better BC, but flat base bullets will probably be more accurate because they are more consistent across the board. I have a rifle that shoots consistently in the .2-.3 MOA range but is more like .5 MOA with a boat tail bullet with the same powder. YMMV.

The 155 SMK has a longer bearing area than the 168 or 175 SMK. Twist rate required will probably be higher for the 155 than the other two, although the increase in velocity may offset the length difference. Either way, required twist is a function of bearing area and velocity, not bullet weight.