Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B Lubrication

I've seen in posts here, as well as in the manual, the advice that the main shaft on the RL 550B should be lubed with 30 weight motor oil, and that grease should be used on the pivot pins. What I don't see, though, is how I'm supposed to get the grease onto the pins. Removing the main shaft pivot pin is easy enough, but the link arms are not moving freely at the top. Is there any way of getting to those pins that does not involve a hammer and a long punch?

RL550s made in the last several years have small grease holes in the upper and lower link arms as well as in the crank, and a spiral groove on the lower link arm pivot pin. Use a needle fitting on a grease gun to lube these.

However, on older machines, you must remove the shaft and use a long punch to remove the upper pivot pins. We use a big nail with the point ground off as a punch. You will need a paltform alignment tool to reinstall and properly align the platofrm to the top of the shaft. then you can disassemble and regrease the pivot pins. :ph34r:

My press has the holes, but it was too late--I'd run the grease dry, so the link arms were galling on the upper pins. Fortunately, Dillon's legendary customer service came through and got me the replacement parts today, and the press is back in business (with all parts well lubricated). Don't think I'll make that mistake again. Is there a recommended lubrication schedule, either by number of rounds or period of time?

Thanks Dillon!

Dillon refitted my old 550 with the pivot arms with the holes in it. Hell it looks like they replaced the whole machine. I have a "Push N Lube" used for greasing the end of the bar on a chain saw. It seems to work well and is handy and compact. Now if I can only fill it with "Slide Glide". And OH Yea thanks to Dillon for the outstanding warranty work. This one might last more than 10 years as my other did. :):)

Signed one HAPPY Dillon Customer Roger D. Davis