Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me spend my tax return

racingjoe27

Last year was the "year of highpower" for me. I did ok but was way undergunned.

This year I'm gonna give uspsa production division a run (maybe some steel challenge). I've got an XDm in 9mm, a belt, mag carriers and mags. I've also got a reloading press, albeit single stage, but I don't have the equipment to load 9mm. I'm currently reading Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol book but I don't have a timer.

So, should I invest in reloading equipment, a timer, or ammo, or is there some other piece of gear that will help me this year?

Thanks in advance for the input!

That's a no brainer... Get yourself a Dillon press and don't look back. You will still have the Dillon long after you you retire the XDM. Also, if you have a smartphone, there are many free shot timer apps that you can get by with until you can afford a dedicated timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the dillon progressive. Square deal B good for pistol loading only and dies are specific to that press only. The 550b is a great press that allows you to have many more options on dies and will load rifle if you want to. iPhone and Android has free app timers that work great for dry fire and par times but not so good at live fire.

I'm kind of surprised that everyone said reloading components, well ok not that surprised. I've read on Brian's store about the required equipment and the "as it should BE" package, but what do you guys think the minimum I can get away with is if I go with a 550? Keep in mind I already have some equipment that I can use with it. Also, will I need a tumbler etc.?

+1 on the dillon press. If you're only going to load 9mm then the dillon square deal is the way to go. If you plan on loading more, look at the 550 and the 650. My XL650 was the best investment I made, but I reload 9mm, 45acp, 223/556 and 308.

A 550 and the requisite dies would be my first move if budget required it. 650 is better if you can spare the cash.

I'd lean towards that over an SDB if you have interest in loading ammo for rifle in the future. Lots of old timers will tell you that you can't load good rifle ammo on a progressive, but David Tubb loads his match winning ammo on a 550 and John Whidden uses a 650.

If you have a powder scale, calipers, etc then the 550 should get you loading ammo. You will want a tumbler, whether wet or dry, unless you buy cleaned brass.

Loading your own will offer you the most bangs for your buck, which is probably why its unanimous. Properly structured rounds down range coupled with appropriate dry fire should give you results you will be pleased with.

Can anyone make recommendations for or against this Harbor Freight Tumbler?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=tumbler

Or Midway has a package deal on a Frankford Arsenal tumbler and separator...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414369/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-case-tumbler-master-kit-with-quick-n-ez-rotary-media-separator-110-volt?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The one benefit to the HF is I can pick it up locally so theres no shipping.

Also, can anyone recommend a set of 9mm dies?

Dillon 650 in 9mm. Set of lee 9mm dies and lee factory crimp die. Don't need strong mount if you don't want it but roller handle is worth having. If you still have tax money left buy the case collator. If not you can buy it later. Now you can reload lots of ammo for lots of practice. :)

Archived