Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass cleaning with corn cob

Zzapp

I just gave the Frankford Arsenal corn cob media a try and really like it. It is smaller and works well on .223. Doesn't take as long as larger corn cob media. I also noticed on 9mm it cleaned the inside of the case fairly well too. Got it from Amazon.

I've used both and like the Fine Grade walnut hull from Harbor Freight. It is small enough that it never sticks in the primer area and I think it cleans a little better. I use it with Nu-Finish.

This is what I've been using for awhile. It cleans really well, even nasty range brass that has been outside for along time...however it doesn't seem to polish at all. It's very very dull looking...but extremely clean.

How much Nu-Finish do you use ??? I pour a ring about a 1/4" wide clear around the tumbler each time I replace the walnut hull and then run it empty for an hour or so. Cleans very well and really polishes the cases with running them about 3 hours.

How much Nu-Finish do you use ??? I pour a ring about a 1/4" wide clear around the tumbler each time I replace the walnut hull and then run it empty for an hour or so. Cleans very well and really polishes the cases with running them about 3 hours.

Interesting. I've tried NF and several other brands of polish and, while it cleans really well, it never polishes for me and I end up with dusty cases. Using corn cob all I need is a capful and the cases clean and polished. One day maybe I'll give it another shot.

I use 50/50 crushed walnut and Zoro's corncob media with a splash of Nu Finish and my cases come out looking shinier than new and very clean. Nu Finish works great for me. I usually run cases for several hours and I have never seen any dust using the NF and 50/50 combo. You need to make sure you get enough NF in the tumbler to liberally get into the media and run it long enough for it to polish. I have tried everything and this is absolutely the best combo I have tried for bright shiny clean cases. I'm with Steve on this one.

Steve I use 2 cap fulls of Nufinish when I replace the walnut and run it for an hour so it gets all the clumps out.

I might try a mix of corncob and walnut here soon if I can get some locally. The only bag I saw on last trip had huge granuals.

The 1/4" wide strip around the top of the media is a good start and then let the tumbler run with just media for a while. It doesn't hurt to add a little extra a second time on new media. Once you get enough of it worked into the media you won't see any dust on your cases. I have found using NF that the media seems to last a very long time before it turns dark unlike some of the other additives NF does not turn color as it polishes. When you can tell that a dry cleaned case sizes easier you have enough in the media, NF works pretty good as a case lube when you get the mixture right.

Once you get it worked into the media I put a small amount in about every other time. When the cases come out looking better than new you will know you have enough. You will need to experiment with you particular set up to suit your expectations.

About out of my old bottle of Flitz, so I'm interested in this NuFish stuff. Does it provide enough residual lubrication for easy resizing with carbide? I've been using a little spritz of Hornady one shot and wouldn't mind eliminating that step.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Thats another thing I can add to my old codger " why, I" repertoire.

You know, "You don't need that fancy expensive stuff, why, I use (fill in the blank)":

car polish to clean and lube my cases

motor oil to lube my gun

floor wax to lube my bullets

stair tread tape on my grip

reflective tape on my sights