Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Steel Nationals Results

ToddKS

The match is not fully affiliated with SCSA and hasn't been for years. These days I don't blame them. Either way, I was there and it's an awesome match.

All results are posted here

Edited by scottlep

The match is not fully affiliated with SCSA and hasn't been for years. These days I don't blame them. Either way, I was there and it's an awesome match.

All results are posted here

I'm glad you had fun and I'm sure it is a great match. but according to the match home page

"USPSA and US Steel Shoot have signed a continuing agreement for US Steel Shoot to be the sanctioned provider of the US Nationals and Regional Steel Challenge Events."

this along with the USPSA and Steel Challange logo's on the page let me to think this was a sanctioned National Championship Match

that quote was on the web page last year as well ....

Dan: it was great to shoot with you on Sunday ....

I followed the super squad around on Saturday as that was an off day for me and got to watch Max shoot his Production gun ...

I am planning on building an open 22 pistol for rimfire division. From those who just went to the 2015 Steel Nationals, what types of rimfire pistols were working the best?

I was thinking of either a Ruger 22/45 with TS upper or a TS 2011 conversion on an 1911 or 2011 frame.

Thanks for the replies.

Browning Buckmark with TacSol fluted barrel, TacSol aluminum grips, comp, C-more optic, trigger job ... as good as it gets ... gun ran flawless for over 500 rds between practice and the match during the week

post-32005-0-73027100-1427238536_thumb.j

Edited by Nimitz

I am planning on building an open 22 pistol for rimfire division. From those who just went to the 2015 Steel Nationals, what types of rimfire pistols were working the best?

I was thinking of either a Ruger 22/45 with TS upper or a TS 2011 conversion on an 1911 or 2011 frame.

Thanks for the replies.

Buy the Ruger or a Buckmark. I have never seen a conversion that doesn't eventually have issues. Saw a lot of people have bad stages down there and many other matches due to the conversions not running.

Edited by scottlep

I use a Browning Buckmark with TacSol Barrel, custom comp and aluminum grips. Works like a top!

Lot of big names using the S&W 41 with a Bully Steel Challenge barrel compensated conversion.

Get something light that works, with "works" being the most important!

Browning Buckmark with TacSol fluted barrel, TacSol aluminum grips, comp, C-more optic, trigger job ... as good as it gets ... gun ran flawless for over 500 rds between practice and the match during the week

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice pistol! I have one setup almost exactly like this but no thumb rest. Nice work on that, any issues with getting it on? Although I like my 41 best, the Buckmark is a very close second!

Glad to see KC back on top!

I shot on the supersquad for rimfire. Most were shooting a S&W 41 with either the Bully, EWK, or homemade barrel. You could tell who wasn't because they were eating malfunctions (mostly 1911 conversions)

My experience would say that a buckmark with all the tricks is good for about 6-8000 rounds and then will start to bobble, 1911 conversions are always finicky, but the 41 runs.

Here is my luck at the match when shooting Open Rimfire Pistol. Scope rail screws were properly torqued and loc-tited. Screws eventually just pulled out of the aluminum sleeve that covers the barrel on my 22/45 Lite. Poor design and well known problem. Other than this debacle I have never had an issue with the gun. Luckily I was able to borrow a gun to finish the match. I started having problems on the 2nd stage. Had to keep tightening and resighting in. I knew it was only a matter of time before total failure. But over all it could have been worse. Sight fell off on 5th stage, Pendulum. I can only laugh now.

Ruger or a Buckmark. I run a Ruger 22/45 Lite and love it. The whole practice and match I had 1 dud in about 750 rounds (luckily that was in practice). Not one issue with the gun itself. Other than a spring wearing out this winter, I've never had a single issue with it. I have a conversion that I like shooting, and it runs really well, just not well enough...

scottlep - Sorry about your gun troubles....but thanks for posing that video, I needed the chuckle!

Sights are way overrated anyway. :rolleyes:

I shot on the supersquad for rimfire. Most were shooting a S&W 41 with either the Bully, EWK, or homemade barrel. You could tell who wasn't because they were eating malfunctions (mostly 1911 conversions)

My experience would say that a buckmark with all the tricks is good for about 6-8000 rounds and then will start to bobble, 1911 conversions are always finicky, but the 41 runs.

hmmmm ..... my Buckmark is well north of 6-8K rds and running flawless ....

scottlep - Sorry about your gun troubles....but thanks for posing that video, I needed the chuckle!

Sights are way overrated anyway. :rolleyes:

I though it was funny too....after the fact. Although I had to edit out earlier parts of the video that contained language that was NSFW.

Browning Buckmark with TacSol fluted barrel, TacSol aluminum grips, comp, C-more optic, trigger job ... as good as it gets ... gun ran flawless for over 500 rds between practice and the match during the weekattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice pistol! I have one setup almost exactly like this but no thumb rest. Nice work on that, any issues with getting it on? Although I like my 41 best, the Buckmark is a very close second!

Glad to see KC back on top!

I didn't install it but the guy who did (our local USPSA MD and gunsmith) is a genius ... that location is right where the serial number is but he was able to install it there without any damage to the S/N ... perfect!

Never held a 41 ... how does the grip feel vs the TacSol Al grips? Are there other options for grips besides the wood ones?

Edited by Nimitz

Here is my luck at the match when shooting Open Rimfire Pistol. Scope rail screws were properly torqued and loc-tited. Screws eventually just pulled out of the aluminum sleeve that covers the barrel on my 22/45 Lite. Poor design and well known problem.

A friends did the same. Only one I've seen do it and I assumed it was due to him being a bit mechanically challenged. Drilled and tapped the barrel to accept 8-40 screws. The middle hole you can drill (and tap) deeper into the steel above the chamber. There's no steel to aluminum "air gap" there. I don't think it's coming off again.

• 2 weeks later...

BJ has shot a Buckmark, then a 1911 conversion, and now a Ruger Mk III. I have to say that his Scandium framed 1911 conversion seemed pretty reliable over the time he shot it. I asked him about the Mk III at the NSSF last year and he said he found that the Luger grip angle of the Mk III made the gun point better and he believed it improved his times by as much as 10%, or words to that effect. Might be something to it.