Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 & Lee (Pistol) Dies

So I have a set of Lee 9mm dies. The 650 manual states the sizing die to be screwed in with the ram up until it touches and then tighten the lock ring. The Lee instructions state to screw in the sizing die until it touches the ram with it up, and then 1/4 turn.

Which of the two instructions should I follow?

Edited by hceuterpe

Set the sizer to just kiss the plate when handle is all the way down. You should toss the LEE ring and use Dillon rings. And you will probably want to put it underneath the tool head

What Sarge says, and one little caveat; Lee Dies are generally used in Lee Presses, so with a LLM or a Turret press, the Turret actually moves up a bit (especially with the 4 hole turret press) and I believe the 1/4 turn extra as listed in the Lee instructions are to compensate for the Turret travel.

Set the sizer to just kiss the plate when handle is all the way down. You should toss the LEE ring and use Dillon rings. And you will probably want to put it underneath the tool head

Actually, the Lee nuts work just fine... or can... Ditch the o-ring and turn the nut upside down. Fits on top of the tool head just fine.

Actually, the Lee nuts work just fine... or can... Ditch the o-ring and turn the nut upside down. Fits on top of the tool head just fine.

Just means more tools. I like to keep them all 1"

Just means more tools. I like to keep them all 1"

Depends how often you go adjusting them I 'spose.

I'm using Lee (pistol and rifle) dies on my 550 though I'm not sizing rifle on it, just loading. I set the dies up per the Dillon manual and verified with a case gauge and my pistol barrel. I had dumped the lee rings and replaced them with Hornady lock rings for use on my RockChucker but switched to Dillon rings with the 550. Easier to work with, more room on tool head, and the wrench is on the press. I don't anticipate much adjusting though unless i change my load as I have dedicated tool heads for each caliber.

Curious about this statement... I have a 550 and have never heard of the lock ring underneath the tool head instead of on top. Both lee and dillon dies and have been using the dillon sizing die in my 550. I have read that the dillon die does not size quite as far down the case as the lee die does and have been experiencing about 2 rounds per 100 that won't gauge in my wilson case gauge. I was considering switching to the lee sizing die with the dillon lock ring thinking this might help with the problem.

Like I said, just curious about the details of why putting the lock ring on the underside of the tool head is beneficial.

Like I said, just curious about the details of why putting the lock ring on the underside of the tool head is beneficial.

I have only done it when there were more threads available on the bottom side and the die had less exposed threads on top than the lock ring.

I have only done it when there were more threads available on the bottom side and the die had less exposed threads on top than the lock ring.

Yes. The threads on the LEE dies run out too soon. If you really adjust it way down there is only about a thread showing on top of mine. It might hold but I use a socket instead of the wrench so it is easy to go underneath.

Another way is turn the toolhead upside down. Can't use powdercheck of course. It'll give you a few extra threads. But putting the locking underneath is a better way as the toolhead from memory has flats machined on the top.

Btw dillon toolheads move up too. So setting it as per lee instructions would probably be ok too.

I would set the Lee carbide sizer using a small strip of paper as a go no go gauge. The carbide ring in a Lee die is closer to the mouth

of the die and will crack if set to tight. You may need to put the lock nut under the shell plate as Lee's die is just a little shorter.

For best results you may need to turn the powder through die down a few thousands. I used a drill press and sandpaper turn the powder through

die enough that the sized piece of brass just slips on the powder through die. Polish with compound after sanding.

Good idea to polish the inside of the powder through die also stops bridging.

Lee's sizing die is an excellent design that sizes closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter than other brands.