Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just purchased a Versa Max Tactical, good choice?

codemonkey001

I just purchased a Versa Max Tactical, the non-Competition one. After doing some research on here about modifying the loading port and welding up the lifter, should I have saved my money and just purchase the Competition version? I'm using this shotgun for 3gun. it'll definitely be an upgrade from my Mossberg 500. i got this for about 80% off a retail model b/c it was a display model. So i considered it a good deal, but maybe i should have just held out on a used Competition model. The Comp model has a different choke, carbon magazine tube, different safety, and some other minor work. Would i be better off getting the load port opened up and the welded lifter from a professional anyway?

Thanks!

If you saved that much money on the tactical then that was a far better choice than the comp model. The lifter still has to be done on the comp model to make it load well and you can pick up the one piece tube from Carbon arms, otherwise the controls are the same ( safety is raised on the comp model instead of flat on the tactical ) you do get the rear sight on the comp but that can be done on the tactical by a gunsmith if you want. Definitely spend the money to have a good smith do the lifter and other mods to help loading etc... not that you can't do it yourself, but if you don't know what you are doing you can do more harm than good. Just look on this forum for the names of the good gunsmith's that do work on the Versa max and you can get the work done at a pretty reasonable cost.

In my opinion the tacticap model is a better starting point. The loading port can be opened up nicely. The nordic tubes work just as well as the factory carbon tube. The rear sight on the competition model is more of a hinderance than help in my opinion. We usually end up removing the rear sight due to the gun shooting extremely high. The lifter on both models needs replacing. If you got the tactical model at a discount then you are ahead already.

thanks guys! glad to be reassured i made a good decision. i'm going to try to take it out this weekend for some test firing and do some trap shooting with friends. after that, it will most likely be going to Triangle as i hear they're great.