Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Newbie

KyleC

All I have reloaded for is bottleneck rifle cases. I have recently gotten everything together to load .40S&W on my 550b. I'm really looking forward to not having to do all of the brass prep that military rifle cases require.

Here's my issue. I have started trying to decide what bullets I would load and I'm a little confused/overwhelmed. What's with all the coatings? Maybe I've looked at too many and have paralysis by analysis, idk? Can someone give me a rundown of the difference and pro's/con's of each, please? I tried searching and didn't really find what I was looking for. I'll be shooting a S&W M&P and I have Titegroup and Bullseye powders. Thanks!

I'll be of some limited help: I shoot Bayou bullets and Blue bullets in .40 and 9mm. With titegroup, coated bullets are pretty clean to shoot and are very accurate. Every time I try a jacketed bullet, I always go back to coated lead, whether they're Blue or Bayou.

Personally, I enjoy shooting coated lead bullets because they're clean and accurate, and inexpensive. They're also good conversation starters at the range with folks who have never seen bright blue bullets, let alone bright blue bullets going into a 9mm open gun.

As far as differences, pros/cons between the different coatings, I have none. I just know the 2 brands I shoot are clean to load, clean to shoot, and work nicely. Plus, you can order sample packs of them and try small batches.

I would order 180gr. RNFP's from extreme. They are reasonable, pricewise. If you are just getting started I would suggest keeping it simple. You can pretty much treat plated bullets like jacketed ones at regular handgun velocities.

I don't have anything against coated bullets, in fact I used Bayou bullets coating for my cast bullets last year. You do have to keep an eye out for shaving the coating off during seating. I always seat and crimp in 2 different steps.

It may easier to work out the kinks with plated until you get comfortable with your set up.

Bayou bullets and Extreme have both been great for me. Pick one and go. I don't think that you can really go wrong either way.