Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights twitch right in dry fire

flyingchipmunk

I've been shoot my 9L a fair amount, and I've noticed when I dry fire, the sights tend to bounce a little bit to the right after a dry fire. not enough to even move the front sight out of the dovetail, but enough to notice if I'm paying close attention. It doesn't matter how slowly I pull the trigger. I'm shooting with an apex competition kit, but with the factory trigger spring and (after some very frustrating soft strikes at a match) a stock striker spring. Even with the lighter springs though the sights still bounce a little to the right.

In live fire my shots go straight where I aim them and I don't have this problem with any other gun. It almost seems like when the striker falls it pushes the gun off to the side. Has anyone else noticed something like this? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

I think that "generous" tolerance between slide and frame allows the slide to sit at one position/angle while cocked. When the striker is released and not recocked by firing, the slide is no longer under tension between striker and sear, so it sits in a slightly different place. It is the striker being released that allows the slide to pop over. I don't know if the tolerance is needed to make the gun work or just too expensive to reduce. I'd pay for less, dry fire is a bit frustrating because of it.

Sheepdogs on the right track. I believe its from the striker bottoming out, if you will, in the striker channel after release. In the four I've owned it did it until you put a snap cap in and pull the trigger. No movement then.