Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling holes in a comp...is it safe

tnorman

I have a nordic tactical comp on my rifle. I have noticed when I try to make multiple shots in succession it dips hard. The comp doesn't have a hole in the bottom so I was wondering is it safe to add a port hole to the bottom of the comp.

To date i know of no comps that have holes in the bottom. I would consider that something else it going on. You might think about and or consider other factors that are throwing your rifle forward. Do you have a Full Mass Operating System (FMOS) if you do then you might think about Light Weight (LW) components. Also consider an adjustable gas block. Its more likely that your bolt slamming forward is driving the run down then anything else. As far as safe goes, yes its safe but i would not do it. I don't think that a hole in the bottom will do much..

If you never shoot prone, no problem. Main reason comps have no holes in bottom is the dust cloud developed with gas directed down. Also you would not want to use the top of your car as a rest with a hole in the bottom.

I have a lmos in the rifle. I finished removing weights from the buffer today and tuning the gas block. It shoots really soft. It just dips down noticeably when I fire more then 2 shots in rapid succession.

Edited by tnorman

You can also enlarge the exit hole to allow more gas to escape through the muzzle which will make the comp less effective. This should help on the dipping if you decide the comp is the issue.