Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target distances

Bob Hostetter

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have been out of 3 gun for a while.

If I understand the program for the 3 Gun Nation you must qualify thru the regionals in order to shot the Pro series? BUT the courses of fire are pretty different, at least for the rifle?

I think there is an additional step.

A pro qualifier match was held last month and I believe the top 16 finishers got invites to shoot the pro matches. This match was invitation only. Invites were based first on your performance at Regional matches. From that list 3GN send out invites with a request you accept or decline, As they get invites declined they work their way on down the list.

Once they have gone through all the Regional competitors, they start with the Club Series winners. More spots available? They work their way down the Club Series list.

At least that's how it was explained to me for 2015.

For the 2016 Pro Series, the Qualifier match will be held this Fall in Tulsa and its called the Nationals. Probably the same method for determining who gets invites.

Probably more info than you wanted Bob. Sorry.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Not at all, I what all the info I can get. I am trying to figure out what kind of equipment package would be best. It seems straight forward except for the rifle. It looks like you need a 400 yard rifle to qualify to shoot in a tournament series that specializes in 50-60 yard rifle targets.

The 3GN Regional matches are a different breed than the 3GN Pro Series. The Regionals seem (I've only seen photos and vids) like any other major 3gun match, rifle shots from 5 feet to 400 yards. The 3GN pro series is laid out a bit different. Everything in the shooting bays, multiple options for engaging targets with gun of choice, etc. Max shot distance seems to be 40-50 yards. I'd bet you'll see more red dots and SBRs at 3GN Pro event than any other 3gun match in the country.

I shot the pro with a Vortex 1-6 and a Colt CRP 16". Not worth pin and weld or SBR to have a shorter rifle for me. Especially when my shotgun is 26" bbl plus a tube that sticks a foot past that. Though that may change back to a flush tube, or at least slightly shorter.