Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull Gauge

zzt

I am in need on a trigger pull gauge, other than the official NRA weight set. I'd like a range between 6oz and 5lb, but a wider range is okay. I want a good one. By that I mean accurate and consistent. Ideally, if I took five of the same unit from the showroom floor and measured the same trigger, they would read the same. If I measure the same trigger ten times, I get the same reading, assuming I did my part. Ideally it should allow calibration suing the NRA weight set.

What do you recommend? I have my eye on a Lyman Digital, but haven't been able to play with one. I'm brand agnostic. I really don't care. I just want a good one.

I've been using a Lyman digital for a couple of years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220725/lyman-trigger-pull-gage-electronic-digital-0-to-12-lb

If you're going to use it a lot, it's worth the money. If you use it once or twice you can probably re sell it and get most of your money back.

It will average several pulls if you like. Most times you will get pulls varying by a little because of where you put the gauge and how straight you pull it back. Different guns need the gauge arm at different places depending on where you put your finger, but once you get the hang of it, it's very consistant.

Dave

FWIW I had a gunsmith measure two of our 1911s with both spring and digital (Lyman) gauge. His two gauges tracked and I got the same results at home with my Lyman gauge. I think the gauge is worth it if you're shooting a lot of rounds through a gun since some mechanisms (e.g., 1911) "suffer" reduced trigger pull as things start to wear.