Zmego

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, troupe said:

I just built 3 rifles for the family using the Spinta barrels and they were the stretch 16" rifle length gas. All 3 have produced 3/4 to 1" at 100 with cheap PMC Bronze 55gr. ball ammo.  I have been very pleased.

They had a great deal on these a while back, I was so tempted to buy one.  Glad you are getting good results Tommy.

• 3 months later...

From their FB page:

Good news and bad news. Bad news = All Melonite barrels will be discontinued for 2018! Grab them while we have them. Good news = We'll have a few new barrel models for 2018 that you will really, really like!

Can anyone speculate why they are d/c melonite?

1 hour ago, Southbound said:

From their FB page:

Good news and bad news. Bad news = All Melonite barrels will be discontinued for 2018! Grab them while we have them. Good news = We'll have a few new barrel models for 2018 that you will really, really like!

Didn't glock come out with some new coating on their gen 5 barrels? Maybe Stretch is going to use the same thing...

3 hours ago, Southbound said:

From their FB page:

I would guess because according to Mcgowen  (who makes the barrel) they say that the melonite makes the smaller parts on the barrel like the barrel extension lugs weaker. I have had two barrel extensions on my stretch barrel have the lugs deform and cause issues. 

Didn’t someone call this issue out a few pages back? That the extension shouldn’t be Melonite only the barrel. I thought the issue was if you have a nitride bolt and Melonite extension the bolt causes hairline fractures in the metal or something like that. I don’t exactly remember what was said but maybe this is a real issue. I just bought an AR Performance barrel and they don’t Melonite the extension only the barrel is. Their barrels are also 4150 steel and not 416R SS, not sure if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

Is stongside tactical not selling these anymore? I’m having a hard time finding a place to buy one of these barrels

Have you tried calling SST to find out their plans?

Love mine, crazy accurate with quality ammo.

Mark

No, just saw they only have the melonite version on the website now and  they are sold out and I read that they were discontinued for 2018. So I was wondering if another company is selling them now 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, mpom said:

Agree, which is why it's not produced🙃  Did you mean to say the intermediate length gas system in the 16 offers no benefits over the mid length gas system?

Mark

It was on the website when I posted. Its gone now. Intermediate 16's are great and a huge step up from mid gas. 18" barrels might as well be rifle has though.

I wonder if any barrel vendors will spec out a 18" barrel with rifle+1 length, similar to how I see the AR10 barrels. The AR10 market realized they wanted longer gas length than rifle, so they came up with a rifle+1, rifle+2 nomenclature.  I think a 18" rifle+1 223wylde barrel would be quite interesting to shoot.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, adamge said:

I wonder if any barrel vendors will spec out a 18" barrel with rifle+1 length, similar to how I see the AR10 barrels. The AR10 market realized they wanted longer gas length than rifle, so they came up with a rifle+1, rifle+2 nomenclature.  I think a 18" rifle+1 223wylde barrel would be quite interesting to shoot.

I've spent some time looking into it. I spent an afternoon calling guys like White Oak, Craddock etc. and asking about the feasibility of it. They've all done it in long 223 barrels (24"+) and said a 22" +2 gas could work. But more than once I was referred to a chart showing that anything past rifle gas in 223 is past the point of diminishing returns with relation to lowered pressure at the port, and by extension lowered felt recoil, and the only reason to go longer than rifle is to keep from having timing issues with excessive dwell time on long barels.