• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, adamge said:

Optimal 3 gunning do-all ammo.

Depends on how far out your matches go.  I personally find it easier to have a load for 250 yards and in, then another load for 250 on out than trying to make one load do both. I used to shoot Freedom 55gr for everything from 1 to 500yds  and it worked fine. It was about 2900-2950fps if I remember correctly. 

Edited by TonytheTiger

I love this barrel. I summoned every ounce of my mediocre group shooting skills today for some load development.  This is at 80 yards with a 6x scope and rested on a rolled up winter coat. The top left shot was cold bore and the first round out of the magazine, I normally remember not to include it in the group. Disregard the shifting zero, it was intentional and not the gun.

20160904_132512.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 1:48 PM, fedupflyer said:

Well I finally figured out why my Stretch-16 barrel wasn't shooting so great.

First I thermal mated the barrel and shimmed it to the upper. Wow, that even made PMC 55gr look almost like match ammo.

It took groups of about 2.5 MOA down to about 1.5 MOA. From what I have seen out of other rifles 2.5 MOA is standard for factory 55g ammo.

Can you explain what's involved with thermal mating and shimming? 

On 10/1/2016 at 0:58 AM, Steve O'Connell said:

Can you explain what's involved with thermal mating and shimming? 

I am giving you a quick explanation (don't have time right now) but I know there are others in this forum that can explain it better than I can.

Shimming is taking a piece of stainless steel shim stock and wrapping it around the receiver extension of the barrel to make the fit tighter.

Thermal mating is when you freeze the barrel and heat up the upper receiver with a heat gun/hair dryer in the effort to make the two fit as tight as possible.

Mine was tight enough that I had to tap the barrel in and it definitely improved the accuracy.

OK, thanks, that's very helpful.  I have noticed a bit of variation in uppers I have assembled.

This would tend to support the barrel-nut-tighter-is-more-accurate school of thought as well.

I have a couple of uppers to assemble shortly including re-barreling my own 3-gun from an 18" to a Stretch 16. Really looking forward to that!

This has been a great thread for the beginner, thanks.

• 7 months later...

I have one of the first gen streatch 16's that came cerekoted. My bcm, syrac ordinance, and DD low pro gas blocks will not fit this damn thing.All three gas blocks are .750... I need some guidance on what to do next gentlemen. 

8 hours ago, Noisefight said:

I have one of the first gen streatch 16's that came cerekoted. My bcm, syrac ordinance, and DD low pro gas blocks will not fit this damn thing.All three gas blocks are .750... I need some guidance on what to do next gentlemen. 

How about contacting Strongside Tactical? Nothing to lose and they might know the answer.

Mark

8 hours ago, Noisefight said:

The Cerakote builds material which is why Stretch Precision provides gas blocks with their barrels.  If you are using someone elses set screw block, you will need to remove the CK at the gasblock journal or ream out the inside of the gas block.  With a clamp on block, you will need to use a wedge to open the block a little and then release that when it is all aligned.

• 3 months later...

Kinda reviving an old'ish thread... I'm looking at these barrels and just wondering how everyone's round count is and what your groups are still looking like.  Is the melonite worth the extra money, or go with the cerakote?  thanks

17 minutes ago, Balwolley said:

Kinda reviving an old'ish thread... I'm looking at these barrels and just wondering how everyone's round count is and what your groups are still looking like.  Is the melonite worth the extra money, or go with the cerakote?  thanks

I have two, the melonite and cerekoted. If you are interested, I'd be willing to sell you the cerekoted one (sniper grey) I never got around to the 2nd build. 

I have the melonite. I love it. I've got probably 8k-9k rounds on mine if I had to guess. I'll run a bore snake through it every 600ish rounds and if I'm feeling bored, I'll actually rod and patch it...and I don't feel bored too often. While I don't shoot for groups, I can tell you my 55gr are spot on. Past 300 I shoot 69 SMKs and have no problem hitting Larue and IPSC/USPSA sized steel targets at 500....when I'm doing my parts of course. I'd go with the melonite and not look back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by mikeor70

Very impressive results.  I've always been the guy chasing my tail trying to find the perfect load.  Some rifles/barrels are really easy to work with while others I find to be a pain in the butt.  So with that said, I want to start off with the better option of barrel.  I don't like running, especially in circles.  Thanks for the replay guys . 

On 8/22/2017 at 9:19 AM, Balwolley said:

I ran the first melonite barrel from SP to 9700 and completely abused ti, never cleaned it and it was the same at 9700 as it was at 50, but Lew made me give it back.  I am running just over 6K on mine now.  While more accurate than most barrels, it is not quite as accurate as the CK barrels.  Melonite is tricky and if there are any blems in the chamber, throat or lands, you can have pressure issues, extraction issues, ets.  They can be abused, and run hard and hot for a long time though.  They are also more picky on what loads they like.

I use the CK barrels for my match rifles.  They are more accurate and in general, less picky about what load you run in it.  My main match rifle just passed 10K and I can't see any change in group size yet, but I am close.  My first one turned the corner at about 12K.

18 minutes ago, MarkCO said:

I ran the first melonite barrel from SP to 9700 and completely abused ti, never cleaned it and it was the same at 9700 as it was at 50, but Lew made me give it back.  I am running just over 6K on mine now.  While more accurate than most barrels, it is not quite as accurate as the CK barrels.  Melonite is tricky and if there are any blems in the chamber, throat or lands, you can have pressure issues, extraction issues, ets.  They can be abused, and run hard and hot for a long time though.  They are also more picky on what loads they like.

I use the CK barrels for my match rifles.  They are more accurate and in general, less picky about what load you run in it.  My main match rifle just passed 10K and I can't see any change in group size yet, but I am close.  My first one turned the corner at about 12K.

That's some pretty fantastic information and almost exactly what I was looking for. If I can get a barrel to last me 9-10k rounds and still give me exceptional accuracy, I wouldn't mind spending another ~$400 on a barrel.  I think you made up my mind on the barrel I want .  Thanks you!! 

13 hours ago, MarkCO said:

CK??

• 4 weeks later...

I just built 3 rifles for the family using the Spinta barrels and they were the stretch 16" rifle length gas. All 3 have produced 3/4 to 1" at 100 with cheap PMC Bronze 55gr. ball ammo.  I have been very pleased.

Edited by troupe

4 hours ago, troupe said:

I just built 3 rifles for the family using the Spinta barrels and they were the stretch 16" rifle length gas. All 3 have produced 3/4 to 1" at 100 with cheap PMC Bronze 55gr. ball ammo.  I have been very pleased.

I don't understand what you are saying. Is the barrel a "Spinta" or a Stretch16?  Also, the Stretch 16 is not a rifle length gas barrel.