Stretch 16 barrel info please

Zmego

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got mine installed about a week ago and shot it today. It was a very soft shooting combination of parts (Stretch barrel, JP LMOS, JPSCS with 80% spring), but I can't take full advantage because I can't use a comp/brake. I can't imagine how little sight movement there would be with a well designed brake on there.

Got mine installed about a week ago and shot it today. It was a very soft shooting combination of parts (Stretch barrel, JP LMOS, JPSCS with 80% spring), but I can't take full advantage because I can't use a comp/brake. I can't imagine how little sight movement there would be with a well designed brake on there.

I'm assuming you live in a state that has some sort of restrictions? Where would that be? I thought flash hiders were the big issue in places like CA and the like, not muzzle brakes.

I'm assuming you live in a state that has some sort of restrictions? Where would that be? I thought flash hiders were the big issue in places like CA and the like, not muzzle brakes.

Nope, I live in Texas so there's no restriction. I'm on a tac team and need a device that directs as much of the blast and concussion forward. I could put one on if I wanted to but don't want the guy shooting next to me to be hindered in any way. I swear some of those brakes have rattled some of my fillings loose having to shoot so close to them.

Would an adjustable gas block make any drastic improvement?

I put the SLR adjustable gas block on mine and it is running great. I don't know the exact setting off hand, but I know it's not completely open. Just started day one of a week-long rifle training class where I'll really be able to put a lot of rounds through it and expose any potential issues with the system. Today was a blast (see what I did there?) :roflol:

Is that the only company that makes an intermediate gas tube? Sorry for the newb questions!

Knights Armament makes one, but the intermediate gas length isn't really standard. Wes from MSTN got with John Noveske before his passing and designed a 16" stainless noveske barrel with an intermediate length but it's slightly shorter than the Knights. I'm really happy with the Noveske barrel I have on another rifle, but ended up going with the Stretch because of the available reviews and lighter weight.

Nope, I live in Texas so there's no restriction. I'm on a tac team and need a device that directs as much of the blast and concussion forward. I could put one on if I wanted to but don't want the guy shooting next to me to be hindered in any way. I swear some of those brakes have rattled some of my fillings loose having to shoot so close to them.

OK, I follow yuou. Yes, so many brakes are so awful on sound.

Yeah, there's a guy at this course that has a POF brake. That dang thing is like a mini flashbang. Nobody can call his shots because it makes you instinctively close your eyes if anywhere close. Especially since we're indoors.

Yeah, there's a guy at this course that has a POF brake. That dang thing is like a mini flashbang. Nobody can call his shots because it makes you instinctively close your eyes if anywhere close. Especially since we're indoors.

Maybe give one of these a try?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_Valley_Precision_22cal_Linear_Comp_1_2x28_Blac_p/kvp-linear223-blk.htm

Is that the only company that makes an intermediate gas tube? Sorry for the newb questions!

Knights Armament makes one, but the intermediate gas length isn't really standard. Wes from MSTN got with John Noveske before his passing and designed a 16" stainless noveske barrel with an intermediate length but it's slightly shorter than the Knights. I'm really happy with the Noveske barrel I have on another rifle, but ended up going with the Stretch because of the available reviews and lighter weight.

Odin and Rainier also make one. Ballistic advantage made one in the past.

I just received my Stretch16 and i'm debating whether or not its worth getting an adjustable gas block.

I will be running a JP LMOS, lightweight buffer, and a JP buffer spring. Is it worth it to buy an adjustable SLR gas block or should I just use the gas block that came with the barrel?

I just received my Stretch16 and i'm debating whether or not its worth getting an adjustable gas block.

I will be running a JP LMOS, lightweight buffer, and a JP buffer spring. Is it worth it to buy an adjustable SLR gas block or should I just use the gas block that came with the barrel?

I'm running the SLR gas block with the stretch, JP LMOS, and the JPSCS with reduced power spring and haven't had an issue so far. I'm in day two of a week-long class and am at close to 500 rounds so far and haven't had an issue. I don't know the exact gas setting, but I know it isn't wide open and it's a pleasure to shoot. I never think it's a bad idea to tune a system to optimal performance, however minimal the gain may seem.

Edited by mwinter501

• 4 weeks later...

I am nearing completion of my Stretch16 build but still looking for a trigger and a comfortable forend.

No hurry as I have purchased everything on sale expect the barrel.

But, I do have a question.

For those that are using the JP LMOS carrier and the JP captured spring on a carbine buffer tube, which spring are you using for proper ejection?

I am nearing completion of my Stretch16 build but still looking for a trigger and a comfortable forend.

No hurry as I have purchased everything on sale expect the barrel.

But, I do have a question.

For those that are using the JP LMOS carrier and the JP captured spring on a carbine buffer tube, which spring are you using for proper ejection?

Use the standard spring that comes installed on the JPSC. Thats the combo I've used for the past 2 years. No malfunctions.

Consider a Battlecomp or the Noveske KX-5 Pig. The pig will definitely push the concusion forward but will look a little ugly on the end of a 16" barrel. I've had great results with my Battlecomp and its not nearly as abrasive as a typical muzzle brake.

There are three brakes that have very little concussion, in fact sound no different than a flash hider, yet run circles around the Battlecomp and Pig for effectiveness. They are the Dynamic Resistance, the Gas Hog and the Seekins ATC. They are not typical as all were designed with CFD packages. Take a look at those three if you want a flat shooting rifle and want to keep your fillings in place.

Ferfran Muzzle Device has a removable shroud. From a tactical side a must if you are running a brake... There are some other companies running similar devices the VG6, Kinecti-Tech, and I am sure there are more.

Speaking from experience, solely from a tactical you don't want them. They do reduce over pressure for teammates right next to you. But they don't reduce flash(the Noveske KX3make light of this fact with the fire breathing pig). They don't reduce the noise common to MB's. Which in a confined space still sucks. Both of these issues, break the cardinal rule of "never draw undue attention to yourself, in a fire fight"!(why machine gunners have a short life expectancy in combat).

Now a solution are the hybrid devices. The first one is the Surefire Warcomp. A flash hider with some compensation. This is my favorite tactical choice, mainly because my teammates aren't telling me they hate me anymore;)

I have not tried the SF warden, but I like the Warden. I would give it a chance, because they are not only re-directing the gas, but diffusing it too. And it will work on the Warcomp.

http://youtu.be/vA2vcFpUndg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk