Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16 barrel info please

Zmego

I have not settled on a powder for 77s. But, I have found, in general that I tend to use faster powders than a lot of others. I have been playing with TAC and a few others now that I have the 55s and 69s dialed in. Varget is just too slow for me.

Where are you finding Tac? I haven't found it in stock for over a year

Midsouth for one ; http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00079TAC/Ramshot-TAC-Smokeless-Rifle-Powder-(1-Lb)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What length handguard is everyone running with this barrel? Also any particular comp better suited for it?

Mine is getting an SLR Solo Ultralite 14" handguard and a Carbon Arms Gas Hog comp.

Hi Mark so what powders have you found work best with 55 gr and 69 gr in the stretch 16

The loads that shot well in my 18" Nordic shoot the same or slightly better in the Stretch16. I mostly use TAC and AA2200.

I was wondering if you already have some experience with the CAGH?

Nope, I am just taking a leap of faith on this one. I squadded with somebody at FNH who had shot both a Titan and a Gas Hog, and he thought the CAGH was very comparable to the Titan in performance. If that's true, I will be very happy...

I am one step closer to having a new upper. I finally got the socket driver adapter I needed to fit my 3/8" torque wrench on the 1/2" drive SLR barrel nut wrench, so I now have a Stretch-16 attached to an upper! Next comes the gas block, and it should all be smooth sailing after that. I am hoping to have it assembled for zeroing this weekend.

I was wondering if you already have some experience with the CAGH?

Nope, I am just taking a leap of faith on this one. I squadded with somebody at FNH who had shot both a Titan and a Gas Hog, and he thought the CAGH was very comparable to the Titan in performance. If that's true, I will be very happy...

I am one step closer to having a new upper. I finally got the socket driver adapter I needed to fit my 3/8" torque wrench on the 1/2" drive SLR barrel nut wrench, so I now have a Stretch-16 attached to an upper! Next comes the gas block, and it should all be smooth sailing after that. I am hoping to have it assembled for zeroing this weekend.

I'm sure you already know this but just in case I'm gona leave this here.

I'm sure you already know this but just in case I'm gona leave this here.

Yeah, I just go with right angle myself, though you did make me go back and look at the math.

So, the extra length of a barrel nut wrench can only serve to increase applied torque. Given that for most barrel nuts, a range of something like 30–80lb.ft. is good, does this really turn into an issue on AR barrels? I mean, the worst you are going to do with a couple inches of extension is overtorque by 5–10lb.ft., which hardly seems like a problem.

On the SLR, my written instructions said 45lb.ft., though I just went back to their web site and their new instructional video says 35. Huh. Well, I guess my barrel nut won't fall off, at least! :)

Edited by CJW

Mark, couple questions about making accurate 223 loads. Is it important to get the headspace of the loaded brass to a certain length number shorter than the fired cases from your particular gun? Is getting the loaded cases 0.003" shorter than fired the ticket? Same question re: free-bore on bullet seat depth.

If you are talking 3Gun, I size my cases to the standards and do not worry much about the techniques we use for the best precision. A dirty chamber and a round that goes click costs more than going from 1/2MOA to 1/3 MOA ever will.

I have two ARs (one in .223 and one in 6.5PCC) I load for precision, and yes, I do play with the case length and distance off the lands, but I get that brass back and I don't shoot it in matches.

• 3 months later...

Bringing up a necro thread, but I ordered my fluted melonite this evening. I've got a hankering for a 16" 3 gun rifle build and this barrel seemed to be the ticket. My current 3-gun rifle has a Nordic 18", looking forward to the comparison in shooting. The nordic is very, very smooth shooting.

Bringing up a necro thread, but I ordered my fluted melonite this evening. I've got a hankering for a 16" 3 gun rifle build and this barrel seemed to be the ticket. My current 3-gun rifle has a Nordic 18", looking forward to the comparison in shooting. The nordic is very, very smooth shooting.

I'd be interested in your comparisons between those two. I hope that you enjoy the new barrel. I'm excited about the 308 Win version of the same. :devil:

I'd be interested in your comparisons between those two. I hope that you enjoy the new barrel. I'm excited about the 308 Win version of the same. :devil:

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked. I decided that this one would be a no-compromise gun, so instead of a MTAC 1-4, I plan on going with a Vortex Razor 1-6. Mount will be a Bobro instead of a PEPR. Trigger will be a Geissele SD-3G flat instead of a CMC 3.5 Flat. Still somewhat undecided on a muzzle device. Receiver set should be picked up this coming week - an Aero set in FDE. Never had a "color" gun before.

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked. I decided that this one would be a no-compromise gun, so instead of a MTAC 1-4, I plan on going with a Vortex Razor 1-6. Mount will be a Bobro instead of a PEPR. Trigger will be a Geissele SD-3G flat instead of a CMC 3.5 Flat. Still somewhat undecided on a muzzle device. Receiver set should be picked up this coming week - an Aero set in FDE. Never had a "color" gun before.

Sounds like it's going to be a great rifle. I have the fluted melonite Stretch 16 and love it. I was thinking about using the Nordic 18 but glad I went with the Stretch. Looking forward to your comparison and good luck with the new assembly.

You will love the barrel. Last year I ran the Nordic 18 and this year the Stretch16. I think the Stretch may be a little softer shooting.

I prefer the DPMS Miculek comp ... The dot of my Razor 1-6 just vibrates on target