Zmego

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the fluted Melonite on yesterday and took it out today. Using XM193 55gr, I was getting MOA groups at 100. I'm not that great of a shot, obviously the barrel is more capable than I am. It handles nicely with a full mass carrier and shoots pretty flat. It handles on par with the 18" barrel I had prior. One thing I noticed though, is that the gas block (SST) screw heads sit very close to the inside of my MI SSM 15" handguard. It looked like I had a few thousandths clearance when I installed it and it appears that way after shooting except there are some marks on the anodizing inside of the rail now. It doesnt look too bad, nothing a minute or two and a Dremel won't take care if.

Lew at SST was great to deal with. Very friendly and happy to answer my questions.

Edited by mikeor70

• 4 weeks later...

At the Noveske Rifleworks Multigun over the past weekend, 7 of the top 15 spots in Tactical were held by competitors shooting Stretch16 barrels. Limited was won by a competitor with a Stretch16. I know there were more there as well.

I have had my Stretch 16 sitting at home for way too long now without having time to get the upper put together and zeroed. I will do that right after FNH and hope to be able to bust this thing out at Starlight!

Hot damn, these things shoot. This is a 5 shot group at 50yds (because the orange target dots wash out at 100yds) with Freedom reman ammo and a 6x optic. It takes me 15-20 seconds to shoot a group and this was the 5th group in 3 minutes. Between that and the sun my barrel was hot but I still got quite a few groups almost as good as this one. The 4 shots clustered measure about 3/16" center to center.

post-55804-0-74323400-1441660652_thumb.j

Edited by TonytheTiger

Hot damn, these things shoot. This is a 5 shot group at 50yds (because the orange target dots wash out at 100yds) with Freedom reman ammo and a 6x optic. It takes me 15-20 seconds to shoot a group and this was the 5th group in 3 minutes. Between that and the sun my barrel was hot but I still got quite a few groups almost as good as this one. The 4 shots clustered measure about 3/16" center to center.

You have anywhere you can "stretch" it out further? (Couldn't resist?). 300 yards or further would be nice to see.

You have anywhere you can "stretch" it out further? (Couldn't resist?). 300 yards or further would be nice to see.
As soon as the corn is harvested my yard will suddenly go out to 880yds. I'll be sure to "stretch" it out a little further then!

As soon as the corn is harvested my yard will suddenly go out to 880yds. I'll be sure to "stretch" it out a little further then![/quote/]

Have you chronoed your loads and compared against an 18"? Mark, what powder do you think would be the best for 77 grain bullets with this barrel?

Edited by bmiller

I load 24 grains of Varget at mag length for 77's and I nailed all the long range stuff at the FNH match last week with the fluted melonite barrel.

Edited by louu

I have not settled on a powder for 77s. But, I have found, in general that I tend to use faster powders than a lot of others. I have been playing with TAC and a few others now that I have the 55s and 69s dialed in. Varget is just too slow for me.

I have not settled on a powder for 77s. But, I have found, in general that I tend to use faster powders than a lot of others. I have been playing with TAC and a few others now that I have the 55s and 69s dialed in. Varget is just too slow for me.

Where are you finding Tac? I haven't found it in stock for over a year