Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16 barrel info please

Zmego

A great hand-lapped barrel...adding Melonite takes great to amazing in my book.

Given the gas port size, I am pretty sure you aren't running an adjustable gas block on any of your Stretch-16 equipped toys. Are you using a low mass BCG and/or reduced springs?

I am not running adjustable gas and I am running a JP low mass carrier with a Carbine buffer. But, it will run standard loads with a commercial mass carrier and carbine buffer 100%.

There were some smaller sized gas ports on some of the earlier barrels, but they increased the size a tad.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the gas port size, I am pretty sure you aren't running an adjustable gas block on any of your Stretch-16 equipped toys. Are you using a low mass BCG and/or reduced springs?

I am not running adjustable gas and I am running a JP low mass carrier with a Carbine buffer. But, it will run standard loads with a commercial mass carrier and carbine buffer 100%.

There were some smaller sized gas ports on some of the earlier barrels, but they increased the size a tad.

Did you use the supplied gas block for the test?

With the commercial weight carrier, I was using a Carbon Arms gasblock. The supplied ones are too loose for my taste.

With the commercial weight carrier, I was using a Carbon Arms gasblock. The supplied ones are too loose for my taste.

How much of difference was there running the commercial weight carrier vs the lmos?

Got a stretch 16 a week ago and had it installed by Gunsmith. I went to the range today and even with Syrac adjustable gas block wide open not getting enough gas. I am using Youngs lightweight bolt carrier and APA brake with standard carbine buffer it does shoot my hand loads sub moa at 100yds.

Curious if the Syrac is a set screw or clamp model. My guess is set screw.

Suspect what MarkCO is implying is that over time, carbon gets deposited that helps seal the GB to gas port interface. Options are shoot some more and see if this happens, go with

a good clamp on version, such as SLR, or a tighter fitting set screw model, such as CA.

Since there is gas leakage, makes sense to fix that before enlarging the gas port.

(another)Mark

Edited by mpom

I have one of these barrels and will be assembling it soon. I have an SLR adjustable and was planning on running it but the supplied clamp actually seems to be very well built. The gas port on the barrel is ever so slightly smaller than my other barrels and am inquiring if I can avoid the complexity of adjustable gas and just run the non adjustable gas....I don't load bunny farts and run factory rifle ammo through the long guns. Advice...

I have one of these barrels and will be assembling it soon. I have an SLR adjustable and was planning on running it but the supplied clamp actually seems to be very well built. The gas port on the barrel is ever so slightly smaller than my other barrels and am inquiring if I can avoid the complexity of adjustable gas and just run the non adjustable gas....I don't load bunny farts and run factory rifle ammo through the long guns. Advice...

It should run just fine with the non-adjustable gas block. The carbon arms gas block is another great option.

My standard load is a 55g hornady at 2550 fps. Im using an SLR rifleworks gas block at about 50-60% open with a boomfab carrier and a carbine weight buffer.

Ive used the supplied gas block and it was fine. I had an adjustable laying around so I slapped in on there.

So I finally realized that with my new stretch 16 that 53gvmax going 3100 fps using Vit 133 are less reliable and will not lock bolt back while the same bullet with Vit 140 going 2800fps works great and locks bolt back. Any ideas why?

I am really thinking about jumping on one of these barrels or the 18" version the intermediate gas feels awesome to shoot. I have shot the 16" version with the whiskey arms aluminum BCG and a JP brake I believe it was like shooting a 10/22 if even that bad. Amazing barrels

I am really thinking about jumping on one of these barrels or the 18" version the intermediate gas feels awesome to shoot. I have shot the 16" version with the whiskey arms aluminum BCG and a JP brake I believe it was like shooting a 10/22 if even that bad. Amazing barrels

The stretch 16 only comes in 16 inches, but if you decide to go for an 18" look at rifle gas instead of intermediate. The Nordic 18" is an excellent option as well.

So I finally realized that with my new stretch 16 that 53gvmax going 3100 fps using Vit 133 are less reliable and will not lock bolt back while the same bullet with Vit 140 going 2800fps works great and locks bolt back. Any ideas why?

In addition to slightly more dwell time, using a larger charge of a slower burning powder delays the peak point on the time/pressure curve, increasing the pressure at the gas port.

Of my hand loads, mine really like 69grain OTM. I don't have any loads heavier than that. They also really likes Hornady VMaxes. Both will print groups 0.4-0.5 MOA if I do my part.

Maybe drew will chime in, I know he likes to run 75-77 grain in his.

I have yet to try Hornady, but so far, Sierra and Nosler both seem to be happy in both the standard and Melonite barrels.

Mark off the top of your head, what's the weight difference between the Stretch 16 and the Nordic 18"? Only, I hate to use the word complaint, but minor issue I have with the 18" Nordic that I bought from your shop is that it makes the rifle a touch front heavy for my tastes.