Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring question.

nikelax73

I purchased a stainless steel guide rod for my SP-01 to find you can't fit it in with the factory flat recoil spring. How many pounds is the factory spring rated, so I can purchase a wire recoil spring and get that guide rod in there?

I think it's around 16 to 18 lbs, but if your going to use it to compete most of us use a 11 lb recoil spring and a 13 lb hammer spring

Im not savvy with replacing hammer springs, hammers, pins and etc. Can you give me a little blurb on the benefit of that? Also, uspsa production legal?

The hammer spring is actually quite easy to change. The lighter hammer spring makes the double action trigger pull much nicer. The change is often coupled with an extended firing pin and a reduced power firing pin spring ( the rami one ) to make sure you don't get light strikes.

The lighter recoil spring is to adjust the recoil action to the lighter loads used at minor power factor, so the front sight returns as quickly as possible for follow up shots. But this is probably not advised for full power factory loads

Edited by CZinZA

The hammer spring is actually quite easy to change. The lighter hammer spring makes the double action trigger pull much nicer. The change is often coupled with an extended firing pin and a reduced power firing pin spring ( the rami one ) to make sure you don't get light strikes.

The lighter recoil spring is to adjust the recoil action to the lighter loads used at minor power factor, so the front sight returns as quickly as possible for follow up shots. But this is probably not advised for full power factory loads

Makes sense, suggestions on manufacturers on these items?

If you are shooting your own reloads for uspsa around 130pf then a recoil spring between 10lb and 13lb will suit. Buy one of each from say 10-14 and try them. See which suits your load and shooting best.

Hammer spring easy to change and will lighten the da trigger massively. 13lb will be good. If you go lighter than that I'd suggest you need extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring.

Cgw make both springs

So do CZ (via czc or cz usa)

Yes changing those spring is uspsa legal. If not in the U.S. and shooting ipsc rules then the cgw springs are out and you must use the cz springs (not a problem they make enough options too).

• 3 months later...

I bought the multi pack from CGW when I first got my cz so that I could figure out what spring weight I liked the best. I ended up using the 11lb spring with 165gr bullets